When I was thinking about ideas for a Valentines Day I was thinking about hibachi, or teppanyaki, style restaurants where they cook the food in front of you. Although it’s nice to go out and enjoy this style of food at a restaurant, you can also make a super tasty version at home! The meal that I normally order is a grilled meat and vegetable dish that usually has chicken, beef, lobster and/or shrimp along various vegetables. Everything is cooked really simply, pan seared and seasoned with butter, garlic, and soy sauce before being finished with a sprinkling of toasted sesame seeds and sesame oil. In addition to the meat and vegetables the meal is usually served with chicken fried rice and one or more sauces for dipping including: yumyum sauce, ginger sauce and/or mustard sauce.
Hibachi Chicken and Vegetables
Hibachi style sauteed chicken and vegetables with plenty of butter and garlic along with a splash of lemon juice!
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 pound chicken boneless and skinless chicken breasts or thighs, cut into bite sized pieces
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 1 medium zucchini, sliced
- 8 ounces mushrooms, sliced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon garlic, chopped
- 1 tablespoon low sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame seeds
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat, add the chicken, onion, mushrooms, zucchin and cook, until the chicken is cooked through and the vegetables are tender, about 7-10 minutes.
- Add the butter and let it melt before mixing in the garlic and cooking until fragrant, about a minute.
- Add the soy sauce, lemon juice, sesame oil and sesame seeds and enjoy!
Option: Add 1 tablespoon teriyaki sauce!
Option: Add 1 tablespoon hoisin sauce.
Option: Use your favourite vegetables!
Option: Serve with hibachi chicken fried rice!
Option: Serve with hibachi yumyum sauce!
Option: Serve with hibachi ginger sauce!
Option: Serve with hibachi mustard sauce!