One of my favourite dishes at a hibachi style restaurant is the fried rice and it’s easy to make fried rice at home! One of the things that I notice, as they make the fried rice in front of you, is that they use plenty of butter and garlic, and that is the main difference between this and other fried rice recipes that I normally make. I like chicken in my fried rice so this recipe starts out with chicken and onions before adding plenty of butter and garlic! The day old rice is mixed in before adding soy sauce and then the eggs, which is cooked in the pan and scrambled a bit before mixing it into the rice. I like to keep things simple and use a mixture of frozen peas and carrots as the vegetables and they can be added near the end since they just need to be warmed. The final touch is toasted sesame oil along with green onions! This butter-garlic, hibachi style, chicken fried rice is one of my favourites and it makes either a great side or as a light meal all by itself; the leftovers are amazing the next day as well!
Hibachi Chicken Fried Rice
A hibachi style chicken fried rice with plenty of butter and garlic!
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1/2 pound chicken, cut into small pieces
- 1/2 cup onion, diced
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons garlic, chopped
- 4 cups cooked rice (day old)
- 4 tablespoons low sodium soy sauce
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup frozen diced carrots
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- 1 teaspoon rice vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame seeds
- 2 green onions, sliced
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat, add the chicken and onion and cook, until the chicken is cooked through and the onion is tender, about 7-10 minutes.
- Add the butter and let it melt before adding the garlic and cooking until fragrant, about a minute.
- Add the rice and soy sauce and mix well.
- Form a large opening in the middle of the pan, add the eggs and cook, scrambling a bit before mixing into the rice.
- Mix the peas and carrots in and warm.
- Mix the vinegar, sesame oil, sesame seeds and green onions in and enjoy!
Option: Use fresh diced carrots and cook them with the chicken and onion in step 1.
Option: Use your favourite fried rice vegetables!
Option: Add 1 tablespoon oyster sauce!
Tip: Let the rice sit for a few minutes and cook so that the rice at the bottom of the pan gets nice and toasted, crispy and good before mixing it.
Option: Serve with hibachi chicken and vegetables!
Option: Serve with hibachi yumyum sauce!
Option: Serve with hibachi ginger sauce!
Option: Serve with hibachi mustard sauce!