This mustard sauce is inspired by a sauce commonly found in American Japanese style hibachi restaurants, such as Benihana. The main ingredients is spicy powdered mustard which is in a sauce made with salty soy sauce, creamy cream, ground toasted sesame seeds, and a touch of sweet maple syrup. I quite enjoy the balance of spiciness, creaminess and saltiness with just a hint of sweetness; it’s perfect for dipping pretty much anything into!
Hibachi Mustard Sauce
A creamy spicy mustard sauce with hints of sesame and maple!
- 2 tablespoons mustard powder
- 1/4 cup low sodium soy sauce
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons toasted sesame seeds, ground
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup (or mirin)
- 1 clove garlic, grated/minced
- Puree everything in a blender or food processor and enjoy!
Option: Serve with hibachi chicken and vegetables!
Option: Serve with hibachi chicken fried rice!
Option: Serve with hibachi yumyum sauce!
Option: Serve with hibachi ginger sauce!