Hot melted cheese dips are among my favourite game day treats and this hot cheesy sausage dip is my current go-to! This is a pretty simple dip that starts out with a homemade nacho cheese style sauce to which spicy chorizo sausage, tomatoes and jalapenos are added! The cheese sauce is made with a roux of butter, flour and milk before melting three kinds of cheese, cheddar, jack and cream cheese, into it! This cheese sauce is amazing all by itself but it gets even better with the addition of spicy chorizo sausage, not to mention jalapeno peppers and diced tomatoes! I enjoy snacking on this dip with tortilla chips and you can also pour it over a plate of tortilla chips to make nachos! Yum! You really can’t go wrong with this hot melted cheese dip with sausage to snack on this weekend while watching The Big Game!
Queso at it’s best!
Hot Cheesy Sausage Dip
A hot melted cheese dip with plenty of spicy chorizo sausage, tomato and jalapenos! Perfect for dipping or pouring over nachos!
- 1/2 pound fresh chorizo sausage, casings removed
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour (rice flour for gluten-free)
- 2 cups milk
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 cup monterey jack cheese, shredded
- 4 ounces cream cheese, warmed
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can diced tomatoes (I like fire roasted)
- 1/4 cup pickled jalapenos, diced
- Cook the sausage and onion in a skillet until cooked through, breaking it apart as it cooks.
- Add the garlic and cook until fragrant, about a minute, before setting aside.
- Melt the butter in a pan over medium heat and cook until it foams and turns lightly golden brown.
- Sprinkle in the flour and cook, stirring, until lightly golden brown, about 1-2 minutes.
- Add the milk and cook, stirring, until the sauce thickens, about 3 minutes.
- Add the cheddar cheese, monterey jack cheese and cream cheese, and cook until it melts into the sauce.*
- Add the chorizo, diced tomatoes and jalapenos and warm before enjoying!
Option: Use fresh chopped jalapenos (instead of pickled) and add with the garlic.
Option: Add 1 tablespoon chopped chipotle peppers in adobo sauce.
Option: Add beans.
Option: Use salsa instead of roasted tomatoes!