With the big football game coming up I have been thinking about snacks a lot lately and dips have been getting almost all of the attention. As I reminisced about how great artichoke dip baked in bread is, I remembered wanting to try roasted portobello mushrooms stuffed with spinach and artichoke dip . I had made a portabella mushroom stuffed with a creamy chicken mixture a long time ago and I figured that the classic combination of spinach and mushrooms would be even better; but who are we kidding, it was the perfect excuse to make some more hot cheesy spinach and artichoke dip !
I kept things nice and easy and I went with my favourite spinach and artichoke dip and I simply stuffed it into some portobello mushrooms. I do not normally remove the gills from portobello mushrooms but I wanted to be able to get as much of the dip in as I could so I removed them this time. I also pre-roasted the mushrooms a bit to ensure that they were nice and tender by the time they were done because you want to be able to easily cut through them with your fork when eating them. The final touch was to top the spinach and artichoke dip with panko bread crumbs that turn a beautiful golden brown and get all nice and crispy while baking.
When you make these with the portobello mushrooms they can make for a really nice light meal but you could also make them in button or cremini mushrooms if you prefer finger food for snaking during the big game or as appetizers for your next social gathering.
Portobello Mushrooms Stuffed with Spinach and Artichoke Dip
Roasted portobello mushrooms stuffed with a cheesy spinach and artichoke dip and topped with a crunchy panko breadcrumb topping.
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 6-8 medium sized portabella mushrooms, stems and gills removed
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen spinach, thawed, drained and coarsely chopped
- 1 (14 ounce) can artichoke hearts, drained and coarsely chopped
- 4 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup mozzarella
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1/2 cup panko bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup grated parmigiano reggiano (parmesan), grated
- Brush the mushrooms with oil and roast in a preheated 450F/230C oven on a baking sheet with the inside facing up until tender, about 10-15 minutes.
- Meanwhile mix the spinach, artichokes, cream cheese, mayo, mozzarella, garlic, salt and pepper.
- Mix the oil, breadcrumbs and parmesan.
- Divide the filling between the mushrooms and sprinkle on the bread crumbs.
- Roast until the filling is hot and the breadcrumbs are golden brown, about 10 minutes.
Hot Spinach and Artichoke Dip
Grilled Portobello Mushroom in a Porcini Cream Sauce
Creamy Stuffed Portabella Mushrooms
Roasted Portobello Mushroom with Poached Egg in a Creamy Mushroom Sauce
Spinach and Artichoke Hummus
Caprese BLT Balsamic Roasted Portobello Mushrooms
Spinach and Artichoke Skillet Chicken with Sundried Tomatoes
Spinach and Artichoke Stuffed Chicken
Spinach and Artichoke Egg Muffins
Avocado Spinach and Artichoke Dip