Potato and leek soup is one of my favourites! At it’s base, this soup is a combination of three simple ingredients: potatoes, leeks and broth, and yet it’s so good! I like to add onions to the mix and I like to cook the onions and leeks in butter to add even more layers of flavour. You can enjoy this soup either hot or chilled so it’s great any time of the year! Another thing that I like about this soup is that it’s so easy to modify it! I like to add different herbs like: chives, parsley, thyme, rosemary, dill, mint, etc., each of which give the soup a different flavour profile! You can also add things like cream, sour cream, cheese, other vegetables, etc. Two of my favourite spring time versions are: one with peas and mint and another with asparagus mixed in!
This one has peas mixed in and they give the soup a nice green colour!
Potato and Leek Soup
A simple soup starring leeks and potatoes that’s easy to make and irresistibly good!
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 onion, diced (optional)
- 3 leeks, trimmed, rinsed and sliced
- 3 russet potatoes, peeled and diced
- 3 cups chicken broth (or vegetable broth)
- salt and pepper to taste
- Melt the butter in a large saucepan over medium heat, add the onion and leeks and cook until tender, about 7-10 minutes.
- Add the potatoes and broth, bring to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer until the potatoes are tender, about 15 minutes.
- Optionally puree some or all of the soup.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste and enjoy!
Option: Mix 1 tablespoon white miso to the soup near the end.
Option: Add cream or sour cream!
Option: Add chives!
Option: Add parsley!
Option: Add rosemary!
Option: Add thyme!
Option: Add dill!
Option: Add mint!
Option: Add 1/2 cup fresh or frozen peas!
Option: Add 1/2 pound asparagus!
Option: Add green onions for even more layers of onion flavour!
Option: Garnish with crispy bacon!
Tip: This soup is amazing either warm or chilled!
Creamy Brie Sweet Potato Pecan Pie Soup
Turmeric Zucchini Soup
Chipotle Sweet Potato Soup
Dill Pickle Soup
Rosemary and Roasted Garlic White Bean Soup
Kielbasa Sauerkraut Soup
Roasted Carrot and Tahini Soup with Pomegranate and Pistachios
Cold Cucumber Soup