I am a big fan of the onion gratins! There is just something magical about the sweet and pungent onions when combined with savoury and creamy melted cheese! My favourite version, up until recently, has been asiago roasted onions but these sour cream and cheddar roasted onions are giving them a run for their money, so to say. Onions are sliced i7nto 1/4 inch thick slices, placed in a pan, covered in a mixture of sour cream and cheddar cheese and baked until the onions are tender and the cheese has melted. This is one of the easiest side dishes around with almost no prep work and once you place them in the oven you just need to wait for them to finish baking! These sour cream and cheddar onions are the perfect side dish for any meal!
Sour Cream and Cheddar Roasted Onions
Tender roasted onions covered in sour cream and melted cheddar cheese!
- 2 large onions, peeled and sliced into 1/4 inch slices
- olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme, chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup of sour cream
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 cup of cheddar cheese, grated
- Place the slices of onion in a single layer on the bottom of a greased baking dish, drizzle with oil and season with salt and pepper before roasting in a preheated 450F/230C oven for 20 minutes.
- Mix the sour cream, eggs and half of the cheese, spread over the roasted onions, sprinkle on the remaining cheese and bake for 20 minutes. (The onions will be tender, the cheese melted and the sides bubbling when it is done.)
Asiago Roasted Onions
Butternut Squash and Feta Gratin
Potatoes au Gratin
Hot Sweet Onions Dip
Herb Roasted Onions
Brussels Sprouts with Smoked Bacon, Mustard Cream and a Parmesan Crust
Roasted Cauliflower and Aged White Cheddar Gratin
Jalapeno Popper Chorizo Cheesecake
Creamy Asiago Bacon Wrapped Roasted Onions
Slow Cooker Chipotle Maple Onion Jam