Every once in a while I get the craving for a creamy dip and although I am completely enthralled by hot melted cheese dips I often want something on the healthier side and at times like this hummus is my ‘goto’ dip of choice. At it’s base hummus is made with pureed chickpeas, tahini, garlic and lemon juice but you can easily add flavours to it to keep things interesting. One of my faourite flavoured hummus has to be sun dried tomato hummus as sun dried tomatoes are just packed with flavour and they go really well in a creamy hummus base. Sun dried tomatoes typically come either dehydrated or packed in oil and both work in hummus either by re-hydrating the dehydrated ones or by draining the ones packed in oil and then adding them to the food processor along with everything else to puree. This sun dried tomato hummus works very well as a dip with toasted pita chips or vegetables for dipping or as a tasty spread in sandwiches or wraps where it adds a ton of flavour and a nice creamy texture.
For the pita chips, cut a pita into triangles, lightly brush with olive oil and bake in a preheated 400F oven until crispy and golden brown, about 3-6 minutes per side.
Sun-Dried Tomato Hummus
A creamy sun dried tomato chickpea dip or spread that is so addictively good and so easy to make!
- 1 (15 ounce) can chickpeas, drained and rinsed (or 1 1/2 cups cooked beans, from 1/2 cup dry)
- 1/4 cup sundried tomatoes (drained or re-hydrated)
- 1/4 cup tahini
- 1 clove garlic
- 1/4 cup lemon juice (~1 lemon)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- salt, pepper and cayenne to taste
- Puree the chickpeas, sundried tomatoes, tahini, garilc, lemon juice and oil in a food processor adding more oil or water if necessary to bring it to the consistency that you like and salt, pepper and cayenne to taste.
Option: Add a few basil leaves for a nice freshness.