The other day I was looking for a snack and I wanted something light and healthy. Hummus, a mixture of pureed chickpeas, tahini (sesame paste), garlic and lemon juice, is one of my go-to appetizers in these sort of situations since despite being so simple, it is so addictively good! Although a basic hummus is amazing all by itself I like to change things up every once in a while by some extra flavour like in this case, roasted red peppers. The roasted red peppers add a nice sweetness and a hint of smokiness that goes really well in hummus making for a special treat indeed! One of the best things about hummus, other than eating it, is that you can throw it together in about 10 minutes so you can make it whenever you want and if you are entertaining you can whip up a batch at the last minute if not a day or two ahead of time. I like to serve hummus with toasted whole wheat pita wedges seasoned with salt and pepper for a healthy dipping option and they can be toasted in about as much time as it takes to make the hummus. Snacking on hummus is definitely a great idea when you have a case of the munchies and never fear leftovers as it goes well in sandwiches and wraps or even for breakfast!
Roasted Red Pepper Hummus
A creamy chickpea hummus with sweet roasted red peppers that is great as a dip or spread!
- 1 (15 ounce) can chickpeas, rinsed and drained (or 1 1/2 cups cooked beans, from 1/2 cup dry)
- 2 roasted red peppers
- 1/4 cup tahini
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and grated
- 1/4 cup lemon juice (~1 lemon)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- salt, pepper and cayenne to taste
- Puree everything in a food processor adding water or oil if necessary to bring it to the consistency that you like and salt, pepper and cayenne to taste.