My next tasty new burger this grilling season is inspired by the flavours of shrimp pad Thai, aka shrimp pad Thai burgers. As many of you know, I am a huge fan of pad Thai and I always enjoy using pad Thsi flavours in different dishes and with burgers being on my mind a lot lately it struck me to combine the two. Pad Thai, a stir-fried noodle dish, can be made with any meat but my favourite has to be shrimp and a shrimp burger patty sounded like a fabulous idea. When I think of a shrimp burger I think of large chunks of juicy succulent shrimp bursting in your mouth with every bite and not some kind of texture-less shrimp patty so I decided to start with some fairly large shrimp and to cut them into a few big pieces. The only question was how to hold those large chunks of shrimp together and the obvious solution seemed to be to grind up a small portion of the shrimp in a food processor and to use shrimp to hold the shrimp chunks together. I do not really like to use 'fillers' like egg and breadcrumbs in burger patties so these shrimp burgers are simply large chunks of shrimp held together by some shrimp paste along with a few pad Thai flavours including garlic, shallots, fish sauce, lime zest and cilantro.
Up next was the condiments for the pad Thai burgers and I had to start with the sauce. Pad Thai is normally made with a tasty sauce consisting of sour tamarind, sweet sugar, salty fish sauce and spicy chilies so that is where I started but this sauce is a little too thick for what I wanted so I thinned it down a bit with the addition of some coconut milk. I could have stopped there with the sauce but I could not resist adding some peanut butter, which is not commonly used in pad Thai, but since pad Thai is often topped with chopped peanuts I figured adding some more peanut flavour could only make things better. I filled the pad Thai burgers out with some of the vegetables in pad Thai including bean sprouts and shredded carrots along with plenty of fresh cilantro and I finished them off with some chopped peanuts and crispy fried shallots.
I have to say that these tasty shrimp pad Thai burgers exceeded all of my expectations and that the pad Thai flavours work really well in burger form! I was also really pleased by how well the shrimp patties tuned out! The texture of the large chunks of shrimp was quite amazing and I am looking forward to making many more shrimp burgers in the future!
Just look at those large chunks of succulent shrimp!
These pad Thai shrimp burgers are sure to impress at your next barbecue get together!
Pad Thai Shrimp Burgers
Succulent shrimp burgers with all of the flavours of pad Thai!
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Chill Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 50 minutes
- 1 1/2 pounds shrimp, peeled, deveined and coarsely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 small shallot
- 2 teaspoons fish sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon lime zest
- 2 tablespoons cilantro
- 3/4 cup coconut milk
- 2 teaspoons tamarind concentrate (or the juice from 1 lime)
- 2 tablespoons palm sugar (or brown sugar)
- 1 tablespoons fish sauce (or soy sauce)
- 1 teaspoon chili sauce (or to taste)
- 1 tablespoon peanut butter
- 1 cup bean sprouts
- 1/4 cup carrot, julienned
- 2 green onions, sliced
- 1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
- 4 buns
- 1/4 cup peanuts, toasted and chopped
- 2 tablespoon crispy fried shallots (optional)
- Mince 1/3 of the shrimp in a food processor along with the garlic, shallot, fish sauce, lime zest and cilantro.
- Mix the minced shrimp into the chopped shrimp, form 4 patties and chill in the fridge for at least 30 minutes.
- Oil your grill, heat to medium-high and cook the shrimp until pink, about 3-5 minutes per side.
- Heat the coconut milk, tamarind, sugar, fish sauce and peanut butter over medium heat until the sugar and peanut butter melt and the sauce thickens a bit and set aside to cool.
- Mix the bean sprouts, carrot, green onion and cilantro and toss in the pad thai sauce.
- Place the shrimp patties in buns and top with the bean sprout mixture, chopped peanuts and crispy fried shallots.
Teriyaki Shrimp Burgers with Grilled Pineapple Salsa, Bacon and Blue Cheese
Spaghetti Squash Shrimp Pad Thai
Chicken Satay Burgers in Spicy Peanut Sauce
Banh Mi Burgers with Vietnamese Caramel BBQ Sauce
Pad Thai Soup
Spicy Peanut Sauce Pad Thai
Pad Thai Omelette
Thai Chicken Pizza with Spicy Peanut Sauce
Jerk Shrimp Tacos with Pineapple Salsa, Slaw and Pina Colada Crema
Chicken Pad Thai Nachos