Although Spring is officially here it is rather chilly and there is even a bit of snow on the ground so I have still been craving soups! I always enjoy converting some of my favourite meals into soups and now it was time for a chicken parmesan soup! Chicken parmesan is a dish where chicken breasts are coated in parmesan and crispy breadcrumbs and it is commonly served with marinara sauce on pasta and it is covered in melted mozzarella cheese. I started the chicken parmesan soup off with a chicken broth and tomato base that I seasoned with onions, garlic, red pepper flakes, fennel and an Italian seasoning blend. Up next was the chicken, which I cooked in the soup before shredding it, and the pasta which is also cooked in the soup. Of course the final ingredient was plenty of parmesan cheese which is melted right into the soup adding a ton of flavour! I served the chicken parmesan soup with some crostini covered in parmesan and it definitely hits the the spot on a chilly day!
I know what you are saying right now, that chicken parmesan is usually covered in melted cheese so feel free to top the soup with some shredded mozzarella and place it under the broiler for a quick few minutes!
Plenty of ooey, gooey, stringy melted cheese!
Chicken Parmesan Soup
All of the flavours of chicken parmesan in a hearty soup that is pure comfort food!
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon fennel seeds, crushed
- 6 cups chicken broth or chicken stock
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts or thighs
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning or oregano
- 6 ounces pasta
- 1/2 cup parmigiano reggiano (parmesan), grated
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 handful basil, chopped
- Heat the oil in a large sauce pan over medium heat, add the onion and cook until tender, about 5-7 minutes.
- Add the garlic, red pepper flakes and fennel and cook until fragrant, about a minute.
- Add the chicken broth, chicken, tomatoes, tomato paste, Italian seasoning, salt and pepper, bring to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer for 10 minutes before adding the pasta and simmering until it is cooked al-dente, about 10 minutes.
- Remove the chicken, shred and mix it back into the soup.
- Mix in the parmesan until it melts, season with salt and pepper to taste, mix in the basil, remove from heat and enjoy!
Slow Cooker: Optionally implement steps 1 & 2, place everything but the pasta, cheese and basil into the slow cooker and cook for 6-10 hours on low or 2-4 hours on high before shredding the chicken, adding the pasta cheese and cooking on high until the pasta is cooked al-dente, about 10 minutes
Note: If you have the time this soup will benefit from being simmered longer before adding the pasta and if you have parmesan rinds, throw them in for the long simmer!
Option: Add some extra vegetables like diced zucchini.