Coleslaw is a summer staple and you can change the flavours up, like in this bacon and blue cheese cole slaw. This is a pretty basic coleslaw in a creamy dressing with crumbled blue cheese and crispy bacon! I like to use a simple mayonnaise dressing and add blue cheese but you could also use a blue cheese dressing. This bacon and blue cheese slaw makes for an amazing side to any summer meal and it’s also amazing in buffalo chicken burgers or buffalo chicken sloppy joes.
Feel free to omit the bacon.
Bacon and Blue Cheese Coleslaw
A crispy cabbage coleslaw in a creamy dressing with blue cheese and bacon!
- 3/4 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar (or lemon juice)
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 8 cups cabbage, shredded of finely chopped
- 1 cup carrot, shredded of finely chopped
- 1/4 cup red onion, sliced, diced or grated (optional)
- 1/4 blue cheese, crumbled
- 1/4 cup bacon, cooked and crumbled (optional)
- Mix the mayo, vinegar, sugar, salt, and pepper.
- Mix the cabbage, carrot, red onion, blue cheese and bacon.
- Mix the coleslaw salad and dressing and either enjoy immediately or, better yet, let it sit in the fridge for an hour to overnight to let the flavours mingle!
Option: Use a blue cheese dressing instead of the simple dressing in this recipe.
Option: Replace ¼ cup mayo with ½ cup sour cream.
Option: Replace ¼ cup mayo with ½ cup buttermilk.