Today I have an outdoor (or indoor) grilling recipe to share with you, a grilled balsamic marinated flank steak! Balsamic vinegar is a pretty tasty vinegar and it makes for a really nice dressing or marinade when combined with some simple ingredients like oil, Dijon mustard, honey, garlic, salt and pepper. The steak is pretty easy, you simply marinate it in the balsamic marinade overnight and then quickly grill it before slicing! Balsamic vinegar also goes well in caprese salad, which consists of tomatoes, basil, fresh mozzarella along with the vinegar and for this meal I do slight variation on it where I blister the tomatoes over the grill and serve the caprese salad on top of the grilled balsamic steak. Yum! This quick and easy balsamic grilled flak steak caprese is one of my favourite summer meals!
Balsamic Grilled Flank Steak Caprese
Balsamic grilled flank steak topped with blistered tomatoes and fresh mozzarella caprese!
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1 large clove garlic, minced/grated
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 pounds flank steak
- 2 cups cherry/grape tomatoes
- 1 cup buffalo/fresh mozzarella, diced
- 2 tablespoons basil, thinly sliced
For the balsamic marinade/dressing:
For the steak caprese:
- Mix everything well.
- Marinate the steak in half of the marinade in the fridge overnight.
- Shake off the excess marinade and grill over medium-high heat until cooked to the desired level of doneness, about 3-5 minutes per side, before setting aside to rest for 5 minutes.
- Grill the cherry tomatoes until lightly charred, about 3-5 minutes. (Or blister them in a heavy bottom skillet on a stove burner at medium-high heat.)
- Slice the steak thinly against the grain, top with the blistered tomatoes, mozzarella, basil and remaining dressing and enjoy!