Pineapple was cheap the other week so I picked some up on a whim and although I was enjoying eating it as is, I couldn’t help but think of using some of it in a recipe. For those of you that have been following for a while, you will not be surprised that one of my first ideas was using it in a
grilled cheese sandwich
, though as it happened I was out of bread but I did have some extra tortillas that needed using and so quesadillas it was! With all of the cold weather lately I have been dreaming about warmer days and the BBQ chicken and pineapple flavour combo was sounding really good for a cheesy quesadilla, along with some spicy jalapenos for extra heat of course. If it were warmer out I would fire up the grill, grill some chicken and slather it with BBQ sauce but since that was not viable I went with the simpler leftover shredded chicken option, which also happens to be much quicker to implement. I have to say that the combo of the sweet and spicy BBQ chicken and juicy and tangy pineapple was a fabulous one! The ooey gooey cheesy quesadillas were pretty amazing and certainly did remind me warmer days; a perfect way to enjoy that pineapple!
Just look at all of that amazing melted cheese, BBQ chicken, pineapple and jalapenos! Those bits of burnt cheese that melted out of the sides of the quesadilla are obviously the best part!
BBQ Chicken and Pineapple Quesadillas
Sweet and spicy BBQ chicken and juicy and tangy pineapple quesadillas filled with spicy jalapenos and plenty of melted cheese!
- 1 (10 inch) tortilla
- 1/4 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1/4 cup monterey jack cheese, shredded
- 1/4 cup chicken, cooked, shredded or cut into small pieces and warm
- 2 tablespoons BBQ sauce
- 1/4 cup pineapple, sliced and optionally grilled
- 1 jalapeno, sliced
- cilantro to taste
- Heat a pan over medium heat.
- Place the tortilla in the pan, sprinkle half of the cheese over half of the tortilla, followed by the chicken, BBQ sauce, pineapple, jalapeno, cilantro and the remaining cheese.
- Fold the tortilla in half covering the filling and cook until the quesadilla is golden brown on both sides and the cheese is melted, about 2-4 minutes per side.
Quesadillas al Pastor with Pineapple Salsa and Pineapple Guacamole
Salmon Teriyaki and Pineapple Quesadillas
BBQ Chicken and Peach Quesadillas
Sweet Chili Chicken Quesadilla
Sweet Potato and Black Bean Quesadillas with Swiss Chard Pesto
Pineapple Dak Bulgogi Quesadillas (Korean Spicy Pineapple BBQ Chicken Quesadillas)
Grilled Pineapple Salsa
BBQ Ham, Bacon and Pineapple Quesadillas (aka BBQ Hawaiian Pizza Quesadillas)
BBQ Chicken, Apple, Bacon and Cheddar Quesadillas
BBQ Chicken and Grilled Pineapple Nachos
Chicken and Avocado Quesadillas