Salty melted butter with garlic and crispy sage is a magical flavour combination that goes particularly well with sweet roasted winter squash! You can enjoy this combo with a number winter squash, such as pumpkin or butternut squash, and acorn squash that’s cut into wedges has a really nice presentation! The recipe is super simple, you cut open the acorn squash, scoop out the seeds, slice into wedges, brush with oil and roast until tender. While the squash roasts you melt and brown some butter, where the browning adds a nice nutty aroma and flavour to the butter, before adding the garlic and sage! Both the garlic and the sage infuse their flavour into the butter and the sage gets a little crispy! When the squash is roasted you drizzle the butter sauce over it and enjoy! (I like to eat the squash from the skin with a spoon.) You can garnish with one or more of the following: pepitas, cranberries, parmesan, blue cheese, etc. This easy side is perfect for any special meal, including Thanksgiving!
Browned Butter and Sage Roasted Acorn Squash
Sweet roasted acorn squash wedges drizzled in browned butter, garlic and sage!
- 2 (1 pound) acorn squash, seeded and cut into 1-2 wide inch wedges
- 1 tablespoon oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup salted butter
- 2 tablespoons fresh sage, thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1/4 cup pepitas (optional)
- Brush the flesh of the acorn squash with oil, season with salt and pepper to taste and place on a baking sheet with skin side down.
- Roast the squash in a preheated 400F/200C oven until tender, about 20-30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook the butter in a small saucepan over medium heat until it starts to turn a nice hazelnut brown before removing it from the heat and mixing in the garlic and sage.
- Place the squash on a serving plate, drizzle on the butter, garlic and sage, sprinkle on the pepitas and enjoy!
Option: Add 1/4 cup crispy cooked diced pancetta.
Option: Sprinkle grated parmesan or pecorino cheese while still warm.
Option: Garnish with 1/4 cup dried cranberries.
Browned Butter and Sage Roasted Butternut Squash
Penne with Pumpkin and Sage Sauce
Roasted Butternut Squash and Caramelized Onion Pizza with Gorgonzola and Crispy Fried Sage
Roasted Butternut Squash with Caramelized Onions, Gorgonzola and Crispy Fried Sage
Butternut Squash Carbonara
Pumpkin Mac n Cheese with Amaretti Crust
Italian Sausage Butternut Squash Soup
Roasted Mushrooms in a Browned Butter, Garlic and Thyme Sauce
Pumpkin Gnocchi in a Brown Butter and Sage Sauce
Roasted Pumpkin Quiche with Caramelized Onions, Gorgonzola and Sage
Pumpkin Goat Cheese Fettuccine Alfredo with Crispy Fried Sage
Roast Acorn Squash, Sweet Potato and Beet Kale and Quinoa Salad with Avocado, Feta and Pomegranate in a Cilantro Lemon Tahini Dressing
Maple Pecan Roasted Acorn Squash
Parmesan Roasted Acorn Squash
Sue Stark says
Thank you Kevin, I’m having company next week and this will be perfect to go along with our dinner. Happy Holidays!
nice dish and like the added pepitas, a nice texture, thank you!