Snickerdoodles are a classic holiday cookie and the other day I had a crazy idea about them; How about apple flavoured snickerdoodles? This came to mind while I was enjoying a fresh batch of slow cooker apple butter and the concentrated flavour of the apple butter would be perfect in the cookies. Snickerdoodles are rolled in sugar and cinnamon which is the perfect companion to apple making these cookies even better! I wasn’t done there! I had another idea, apple and caramel are amazing together so why not add caramel to the mix either by drizzling some sauce on top or by stuffing caramel into the cookies? It’s so simple to stuff the cookies with chewing caramels before baking and when they come out of the oven the caramel is all nice and melted a oh so ooey, gooey and good! These caramel apple snickerdoodles are sure to be a hit on your holiday cookie platter!
Mmm… melted caramel… yummm…
Caramel Apple Snickerdoodles
Soft, thick and chewy apple snickerdoodles filled with melted caramel!
- 1/4 cup apple butter
- 1/2 cup butter, room temperature
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 9 caramels, cut in half
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- Mix the apps butter, butter and sugars in a bowl, beat in the egg followed by the vanilla extract.
- Mix the flour, baking powder and salt in another bowl.
- Mix the dry ingredients into the wet until they are just incorporated.
- Scoop 1 1/2 tablespoons of the cookie dough at a time, roll it into a ball, push half a caramel into the centre, seal and reform into a ball before rolling in the mixture of the sugar and cinnamon, placing on a parchment paper lined cookie sheet and baking in a preheated 350F/180C oven until just lightly golden brown around the edges, about 8-12 minutes, let cool on sheet for 5 minutes and transfer to cooling rack to cool completely.
Option: Omit the caramel.
Thick and Chewy Peanut Butter Cookies
Bacon Gingersnap Cookies
Fudgy Rolo Brownie Cookies
Pumpkin White Chocolate and Macadamia Nut Cookies
Soft and Chewy Lemon Cheesecake Cookies
S’mores Chocolate Chip Cookies
Caramel Apple Bread
Pumpkin White Chocolate Chip Cookies
4 Ingredient Dark Chocolate Dipped Peanut Butter Cookies
Peanut Butter Cookies