Spinach and artichoke are a flavour combination that I never tire of and they are amazing when combined with spring asparagus! This recipe is a simple variation on my spinach and artichoke chicken piccata where the capers are dropped, asparagus is added and everything, including the pasta, is cooked in one pan! The recipe starts out by cooking bite sized pieces of chicken and setting them aside. Onions and garlic are cooked, the pasta and broth are added and cooked partially before adding the asparagus, followed by the spinach, artichokes, chicken, lemon juice, and parsley. The asparagus, spinach, parsley and lemon make this dish so nice and light, bright, and healthy, though I like to add a tasty amount of parmesan cheese to the mix! This one-pan asparagus, spinach and artichoke pasta comes together in almost no time at all and it’s sure to please this spring!
I can’t help but thinking about a creamy dip when I think about spinach and artichokes and a variation of this recipe is to melt 4 ounces cream cheese into the sauce along with 2 tablespoons of sour cream and 2 tablespoons of mayonnaise!
Chicken and Asparagus Spinach and Artichoke Pasta
An easy and tasty spinach and artichoke pasta with asparagus and chicken made in one pan!
- 2 tablespoons butter (or oil)
- 1 pound boneless and skinless chicken breasts or thighs, cut into bite sized pieces
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 pinch red pepper flakes (optional)
- 12 ounces pasta (gluten-free for gluten-free)
- 2 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1 pound asparagus, washed, trimmed and cut into bite sized pieces
- 5 ounces spinach, coarsely chopped
- 1 (14 ounce) can artichoke hearts, drained and quartered or coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup (2 ounces) parmigiano reggiano (parmesan), grated
- 1 lemon, juice and zest
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons parsley, chopped
- Melt the butter in a large skillet/pan over medium heat, add the chicken and cook until golden brown, about 2-4 minutes per side, before setting aside.
- Add the onion to the pan and cook in the remaining butter until tender, about 3-5 minutes.
- Add the garlic and red pepper flakes and cook until fragrant, about a minute.
- Add the pasta and broth, bring to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add the asparagus and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add the spinach and cook until wilted, about 2 minutes.
- Add the chicken, artichoke hearts, parmesan, lemon juice and zest.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste before adding the parsley and enjoying!
Option: Add fresh sliced basil!
Option: Use a different cheese such as asiago, pecorino, etc.
Option: Add 1/2 cup heavy/whipping cream!
Option: Add 4 ounces cream cheese, 2 tablespoons of sour cream and 2 tablespoons of mayonnaise!
Spinach and Artichoke Chicken Piccata
Spinach and Artichoke Skillet Chicken with Sundried Tomatoes
Spinach and Artichoke Stuffed Chicken
Spinach and Artichoke Baked Chicken
Spinach and Artichoke Dip Pizza
Spinach and Artichoke Dip Pasta
Spinach and Artichoke Dip Tortellini Soup
Lemon Chicken Orzo Soup