Crispy fried chicken fingers/strips/tenders are amazing and this crispy baked honey buffalo chicken is a tasty lighter option! The basics of crispy chicken is to coat the chicken in a seasoned flour, dipping it in egg, coat it in crumbs and then either frying it in oil, air frying it, or baking it in the oven until it’s golden brown and crispy! Frying in oil will give the crispiest results but baking it or air frying it is easier and a little lighter. You can use just plain flour or you can season it; I like paprika, onion powder and garlic powder. You can use plain eggs or season them; I like to add a splash of hot sauce! For the crispy coating you can use breadcrumbs, panko bread crumbs, crushed cornflakes, crushed pretzels, etc.; I like crushed cornflakes along with a bit of parmesan cheese! Just before baking you can optionally spray the chicken with a little oil to help them turn a nice golden brown and get a little crispier. Once the chicken is ready you simply bake it and while it’s baking you can make the honey buffalo sauce. I like to serve these crispy baked honey buffalo chicken strips with ranch dressing or blue cheese dressing for dipping!
Crispy Baked Honey Buffalo Chicken
Seasoned chicken coated in cornflakes and baked until golden brown and crispy before being smothered in a honey buffalo sauce!
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour (gluten-free for gluten-free)
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 2 tablespoons hot sauce
- 2 cups cornflake crumbs (or breadcrumbs) (gluten-free for gluten-free)
- 1/4 cup parmigiano reggiano (parmesan cheese), grated
- 1 pound boneless and skinless chicken breasts or thighs, cut into strips*
- 1/4 cup hot sauce (such as Frank Red Hot)
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Mix flour, paprika, onion powder, and garlic powder and place them in a wide bowl.
- Mix the egg and hot sauce in a wide bowl.
- Mix the cornflakes and parmesan in a wide bowl.
- Dredge the chicken in the flour mixture, shake off any excess, dip in the egg mixture to coat, shake off any excess, press into the crumb mixture, shake off excess, and place on a wire rack on a baking sheet.
- Bake in a preheated 425F/220C until golden brown, about 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat the hot sauce, honey and butter in a small saucepan, bring to a boil, turn off the heat and let cool.
Option: Lightly spray the coated chicken with oil.
Option: Fry the chicken in oil or in an air fryer.
Option: Double the sauce recipe!
Option: Serve with ranch or blue cheese dressing/dip.
Option: Serve with carrot and celery sticks.