Cinco de Mayo is tomorrow and I have one more recipe for you, the crunch wrap supreme. Crunchwraps have always looked good and I recently got around to trying to make some of my own! The basic idea seems to be that all of the flavours/ingredients of a taco wrapped in a large crispy tortilla; a ‘taco’ in a more convenient, on-the-go form that you can easily eat with one hand while on the go. This recipe starts out with large tortillas, the largest that I can find are 12 inch ones, and even they are not quite big enough when folded up, so I add a second small tortilla to the side that is folded up and this allows for larger wraps. The part of the wrap that gives it the ‘crunch’ in the name comes both from the crispy outer tortilla along with an internal layer of crunchy tortillas which can either take the form of a crispy fried tortilla or tortillas chips. The remaining ingredients are your favourite tacos fillings and I like to go with taco seasoned ground beef, nacho cheese sauce, lettuce, tomato, cheese, and sour cream. Once the tortillas are filled and wrapped, they are either fried in a pan until crispy on the outside or baked in an oven until crispy! These crunch wraps are actually prettyy easy to make, especially if you make the seasoned beef and cheese sauce the day before, and they taste great! Perfect for Cinco de Mayo!
Crunch Wrap Supreme
Homemade crunch wraps; crispy tortillas filled with taco seasoned beef, nacho cheese sauce, lettuce, tomato, cheese and sour cream! Hand holdable, on-the-go pockets of taco goodness!
- 8 (4 inch) tortillas (gluten-free for gluten-free)
- 4 (12 inch) tortillas (gluten-free for gluten-free)
- 1 pound taco seasoned ground beef
- 2 cups nacho cheese sauce
- 2 cups lettuce, shredded
- 1 cup tomatoes, diced
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- 4 tablespoons sour cream
- Heat some oil in a skillet over medium heat, add a small tortilla and fry until lightly golden brown on both sides, about 1-2 minutes per side, before setting aside on paper towels to drain. Repeat for 3 more (4 in total) small tortillas.
- Place one large tortilla down, place 1/4 of the beef in the center of the tortilla in a thin layer, top with 1/4 on the cheese sauce, 1 of the crunchy/fried tortillas, 1/4 of the lettuce, tomatoes, cheese and sour cream followed by a small unfried tortilla.
- Fold the sides of the large tortilla up sealing over the small tortilla, place in a skillet, with the folded side down, and cook over medium heat until lightly golden brown, about 3-5 minutes, before flipping and cooking the other side. Repeat for the remaining 3 crunch wraps.
Tip: Make the beef, cheese sauce and fry the 4 small tortillas the day before.
Tip: Corn tortillas typically fry up nice and crispy better than flour tortillas so they are a better option for the crunchy tortillas in the middle.
Tip: Instead of a crispy fried tortilla adding the crunch layer to the middle, you could use tortilla chips!