Stuffed peppers are such a great meal, but they take a bit of effort, and this deconstructed skillet stuffed pepper recipe has all of the flavours with out any of the fuss! Stuffed peppers are a dish where bell peppers are placed in a baking pan, stuffed with a mixture of beef, rice and a tomato sauce and they are baked until the peppers are nice and tender. This version is a stove top version where the whole dish is made in one pan on the stove top! The recipe starts out by cooking the beef, followed by onions and plenty of peppers. It’s seasoned with garlic, paprika, tomatoes, Worcestershire and parmesan. The rice is cooked right in the pan with the sauce and because rice requires some liquid, beef broth is added. Once the rice is cooked cheese is sprinkled on to melt! This skillet stuffed pepper dish is so much easier to make than the original and tastes just as good! It’s the perfect meal for a busy weeknight!
After cooking the beef on the stovetop, you could mix everything, transfer to a casserole dish and bake in a preheated 375F oven until the rice is cooked and the sides are bubbling, about 45 minutes.
Deconstructed Skillet Stuffed Peppers
A super easy stove-top version of stuffed peppers with a mixture of beef, rice and tasty tomato and bell pepper sauce all covered in melted cheese!
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 cup onion, diced
- 2 cups bell pepper, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 2 cups beef broth (or water)
- 1 cup long grained rice
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning (or oregano)
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce (optional)
- 1/4 cup parmigiano reggiano (parmesan cheese), grated (optional)
- 1 cup mozzarella, shredded
- Cook the beef in a large skillet/pan over medium-high heat, breaking it apart as it cooks, until cooked through, before setting the beef aside and reserving 1 tablespoon of grease in the pan.
- Cook the onion and peppers in the skillet until tender, about 5-7 minutes.
- Add the garlic, tomato paste, paprika, salt, and pepper, mix and cook until fragrant, about a minute.
- Add the tomatoes, broth, rice, beef, and Italian seasoning, mix, bring to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer, cover, until the rice is cooked, about 20 minutes.
- Mix in the Worcestershire sauce and parmesan, sprinkle on the mozzarella, cover and let the cheese melt, about 2-3 minutes, before enjoying!
Option: Replace the can of diced tomatoes with 2 cups of marinara sauce or your favourite tomato pasta sauce.
Lasagna Stuffed Peppers
Mexican Stuffed Peppers
Lamb Stuffed Peppers (Greek Style)
Gemista (Greek Stuffed Tomatoes and Peppers)
Italian Sausage Stuffed Pepper Soup
Sausage and Pepper Stuffed Spaghetti Squash
Lasagna Stuffed Spaghetti Squash
Greek Beef Skillet
Mexican Beef and Bean Skillet Rice