Shortbread is a holiday cookie classic and it’s so easy to make! At it’s base it’s the simple combination of butter, sugar, and flour where the butter and sugar just melt in your mouth! Some of the flour can be replaced with cornstarch which makes the texture of the cookies a little lighter. You can add flavours to shortbread and these cookies have espresso powder and mini chocolate chips added! Coffee and chocolate is an amazing flavour combination and it works so well in shortbread! You can form shortbread cookies any way you like and it’s super easy to roll them into a log and slice them after chilling in the fridge. These espresso and chocolate chip short bread cookies are sure to pleas eon your holiday cookie plater this year!
Espresso and Chocolate Chip Shortbread Cookies
Creamy, melt in your mouth shortbread with espresso/coffee and chocolate chips!
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1/2 cup powdered/icing/confectioners sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract (optional)
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cornstarch (or more flour)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon espresso powder
- 1/2 cup mini chocolate chips
- Beat the butter and sugar for 5-6 minutes before mixing in the vanilla.
- Gently mix in the mixture of the flour, cornstarch, salt, and espresso, before mixing in the mini chocolate chips.
- Form the dough into a log, wrap and chill in the fridge for 2+ hours, before slicing into 1/4 inch slices and placing on a parchment paper (or silicon mat) lined baking sheet!
- Bake in a preheated 350F/180C oven until the bottom just starts to brown, about 12 minutes, before removing from the oven and letting cool completely on the baking sheet.
Option: Replace some or all of the cornstarch with flour.
Tip: Use a sharp knife, use force, and cut quickly to reduce crumbling when you slice the shortbread dough.
Tip: Use a food processor to make the dough: 1. Pulse the flour, cornstarch, salt, espresso powder, and powder sugar, before adding the butter and vanilla and pulsing until it starts to form sand sized pebbles. 2. Transfer the dough to a bowl, mix in the chocolate chips, and work the dough your hands a bit until it forms up.
Almond Crescent Cookies
Maple Pecan Shortbread
Orange Shortbread Dipped in Chocolate
Stilton and Rosemary Shortbread
Gorgonzola and Pistachio Shortbread
Bacon Maple Shortbread
Chocolate Cherry Balsamic Goat Cheese Shortbread
Chocolate Orange Rosemary Shortbread