Gingerbread is a classic holiday treat that can come in various forms such as cookies, breads, cakes, etc. The main flavours are typically: ginger, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, and molasses. This gingerbread cake is the perfect holiday dessert and it’s easy to make! Molasses is pretty thick and needs to be thinned out with warm water to which butter, sugar, eggs and vanilla are added. The dry ingredients contain the spices along with flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt. The wet and dry ingredients are mixed before being poured into a pan and baked. This gingerbread cake is amazing all by itself but it gets even better when topped with butterscotch sauce, caramel sauce, toffee sauce, or custard sauce along with some whipped cream or ice cream!
A moist and tender, traditional style, gingerbread cake that’s the perfect holiday dessert!
- 1 cup water, just boiled
- 1 cup molasses
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup brown sugar (packed)
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- Mix the hot water and molasses followed by the butter and brown sugar before letting it cool a bit and mixing in the eggs and vanilla extract.
- Mix the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, ginger, cinnamon, nutmeg, and cloves.
- Mix the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and pour into a greased, or parchment lined, 8×8 inch baking pan.
- Bake in a preheated 350F/180C oven until a toothpick pushed into the center comes out clean, about 40-45 minutes, before letting cool and enjoying.
Fantastic! Thank you so much for this wonderful recipe. Seasons greetings to you and yours!
janis clarke says
Ohhh, this so reminded me of the cake my mother used to make. We had it with homemade applesauce. Thanks Kevin!
Can i make this with gluten free flour? It looks devine.
Yes you can!
a nice cake, and a really nice butterscotch sauce too, thank you!
great receipe of Gingerbread Cake, its really tasty and easy to make, i loved it.
i don’t remember how i first came upon closetcooking, but i am so glad i did.. i have enjoyed your recipes for several years now. right now i am sitting here with a cast enclosing my fractured right wrist, but i am heading down to the kitchen to pull out the butter and eggs to soften and come to room temp while i gather the rest of the ingredients so that i can make my first gingerbread cake ever. you make it look so easy, i have to try. just can’t decide which sauce might be best for my first effort, but i’m thinking butterscotch. thanks, kevin, for another great recipe.
Ginger is very beneficial for health, thanks to this recipe, I will be able to feed ginger to my children with pleasure.
Young man! 10/10! I’ve been making Food Wishes Gingerbread cake for years. I wanted to try something new, so I made yours today. Well, you knocked it out of the park! Well done. I admit I did add the lemon juice/powdered sugar topping, but your cake is delicious. The texture is perfect, the taste just right, and so I say, thank you!