This months Sugar High Friday theme is sweets with an Asian twist. I could could not resist participating with a theme like this. I really enjoy using Asian ingredients like matcha (powdered green tea), azuki beans, black sesame seeds, in sweets. I particularly like the matcha and white chocolate combo. Recently I have not been able to get the images of these chocolate mascarpone brownies out of my head. They just looks so dense and moist and chocolaty and good. I thought that a matcha and white chocolate version would be really nice. (I am not really sure if they were still brownies at this point or if they become blondies or something else…) I decided to go with a straight dark chocolate ganache to contrast the flavours a bit but I was thinking of that a white chocolate and green tea ganache would also be nice.
The only changes that I made to the recipe were replacing the dark chocolate with white chocolate and replacing the cocoa powder with matcha. I was not sure how much matcha to use so I started with one tablespoon. The batter looked nice and dark green and I could really taste the green tea so I stopped there. The matcha white chocolate mascarpone brownies came together easily and tasted really good. They were nice and dense and moist and fudge like in texture. Matcha is slightly bitter and it tempered the sweetness of the white chocolate and the brownie had the perfect amount of sweetness. Unfortunately the nice dark green colour faded with baking and the green tea flavour was not strong enough to stand up to the chocolate ganache topping. The next time I make these, and I will be making them again, I will use two tablespoons of matcha and I will either use a thinner layer of chocolate ganache or skip the ganache entirely. Of course the the rich, dense brownies went well with a glass of milk or a cup of green tea.
Green Tea White Chocolate Mascarpone Brownies with Chocolate Ganache
- 1 cup unsalted butter
- 3 ounces white chocolate (chopped)
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon matcha (green tea powder)
- 1/2 cup mascarpone cheese (softened)
- 3 large eggs (room temperature)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Melt the butter and chocolate in a double boiler.
- Mix in the sugar and matcha.
- Beat in the mascarpone, eggs and vanilla.
- Fold in the flour and salt.
- Pour the batter into a greased 8×8 inch baking pan.
- Bake in a preheated 325F/170C oven until a toothpick poked into the middle comes out clean, about 55-60 minutes.
- Pour the ganache over the brownies and wait until it is firm before cutting.
- 6 tablespoons heavy cream
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 6 ounces dark chocolate (chopped)
- Heat the cream and butter in a small sauce pan until just before it boils.
- Pour the cream and butter over the chocolate in a bowl.
- Stir until smooth.
Green Tea Macarons
Green Tea and White Chocolate Opera Cake
Green Tea and White Chocolate Ice Cream
Mayan Orange Brownies
Apricot White Chocolate and Macadamia Nut Blondies
Chocolate Covered Strawberry Brownies
Ultimate Fudgy Cocoa Brownies
Pecan Pie Brownies
Cookies and Cream Blondies