Zucchini season is in full swing and one of my favourite ways to enjoy zucchini is stuffed! The basic idea behind a stuffed zucchini recipe is that the zucchini is cut in half, hollowed out and stuffed with a tasty filling before being baked until tender. This zucchini is stuffed with a mixture of Italian sausage and marinara sauce and it’s all topped off with melted cheese! It takes a bit of time to hollow out the zucchini, make the filling and then bake but its all really easy to do, and well worth the effort!
I like to add fresh basil to kick up the summery feel to the dish!
Italian Sausage Stuffed Zucchini
Zucchini ‘boats’ stuffed with a tasty mixture of Italian sausage and marinara sauce that’s topped with plenty of melted cheese!
- 4 medium zucchini
- 1 pound Italian sausage, casings removed
- 1/2 cup onion, diced
- 1/2 cup red pepper, diced (optional)
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 1/2 cups marinara sauce (or canned diced tomatoes or fresh diced tomatoes)
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano (or italian seasoning)
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons basil, thinly sliced (optional)
- 1/4 cup parmigiano reggiano (parmesan cheese),grated
- 1 cup mozzarella, shredded
- Cut the zucchini in half lengthwise, and hollow them out (using a spoon or melon baller) until the zucchini is about 1/4 inch thick, reserving and chopping the zucchini from the inside.
- Cook the sausage in a large skillet, breaking it apart as it cooks, adding the onions when the sausage is halfway done.
- Add the diced red peppers and chopped zucchini and cook until tender, about 5 minutes.
- Add the garlic and cook for a minute.
- Add the marinara sauce and oregano, bring to a boil and simmer for 2 minutes before mixing in the basil, seasoning with salt and pepper to taste, and turning off the heat.
- Stuff the sausage mixture into the hollowed out zucchini halves, place them on a baking sheet, and bake in a preheated 350F/180C oven until the zucchini is tender, about 30-40 minutes.
- Top with the cheese and broil until the cheese has melted, about 1 minute.
Philly Cheesesteak Stuffed Zucchini
Mexican Stuffed Zucchini
Chicken Enchilada Stuffed Zucchini
Buffalo Chicken Stuffed Zucchini topped with Melted Cheddar, Bacon and an Avocado Blue Cheese Dressing
Mushroom and Zucchini Enchiladas
Zucchini Stuffed with Italian Sausage and Cheese
Eggplant Parmesan Boats
Lasagna Stuffed Spaghetti Squash
Sausage and Pepper Stuffed Spaghetti Squash
Corn and Zucchini Ricotta Stuffed Shells