I always enjoy stuffing zucchini with tasty fillings and in this recipe they are stuffed with all of the flavours of cheesesteak sandwiches! The basic idea here is that you take some medium-small sized zucchini, cut them in half lengthwise, scoop out the middles, chop it up, and cook it with the cheesesteak ingredients before stuffing it back into the zucchini and baking until tender. The filling is inspired by cheesesteak sandwiches with the steak being represented by ground beef which is combined with onions and peppers. The other main ingredient in cheesesteaks is the cheese which is either whiz or provolone and I like to go with both! Although it takes a bit of time to scoop, dice and cook the filling and then bake everything, it’s all super easy to do and well worth the time! This kid friendly cheesesteak stuffed zucchini is an easy weeknight meal that’s a great way to get everyone to eat their veggies!
Philly Cheesesteak Stuffed Zucchini
Tender zucchini boats stuffed with all of the flavours of Philly cheesesteaks!
- 4 medium zucchini
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 cup onion, diced
- 1 cup green pepper, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 cup cheese whiz
- salt and pepper to taste
- 4 ounces provolone, deli sliced or shredded
- Cut the zucchini in half lengthwise, and hollow them out (using a spoon or melon baller) until the zucchini is about 1/4 inch thick, reserving and chopping the zucchini from the inside.
- Cook the beef and onion in a large skill until the beef is cooked through, before draining off any excess grease.
- Add the green pepper and chopped zucchini and cook until tender, about 5 minutes.
- Add the garlic, soy sauce and Worcestershire sauce and cook for a minute.
- Add the cheese whiz and mix before seasoning with salt and pepper to taste.
- Place the beef mixture into the hollowed out zucchini halves and place them on a baking sheet.
- Top with the cheese and bake in a preheated 350F/180C oven until the zucchini is tender, about 30-40 minutes.
Option: Add diced mushrooms or your favourite cheesesteak fillings!
Option: Cook the filling and assemble a day ahead, store in the fridge and bake when ready!
Mexican Stuffed Zucchini
Chicken Enchilada Stuffed Zucchini
Buffalo Chicken Stuffed Zucchini topped with Melted Cheddar, Bacon and an Avocado Blue Cheese Dressing
Mushroom and Zucchini Enchiladas
Zucchini Stuffed with Italian Sausage and Cheese
Eggplant Parmesan Boats
Lasagna Stuffed Spaghetti Squash
Sausage and Pepper Stuffed Spaghetti Squash
Corn and Zucchini Ricotta Stuffed Shells
Philly Cheesesteak Soup
Philly Cheesesteak Sandwiches
Philly Cheesesteak Meatloaf
Philly Cheesesteak Stuffed Peppers
Philly Cheesesteak Sloppy Joes
We love every Recipe we’ve tried. Thank you. Happy Holidays,Will and Robin.❤️