There are a bunch of different ways to make burgers and these Oklahoma onion burgers are one of my favs! These burgers are pure beef that’s formed into small balls before being smashed flat onto the cooking surface. The beef is then seasoned simply with salt and pepper before generously topping with thinly sliced onions. When the bottom of the patties starts to turn golden brown they are flipped and the onions get the chance to caramelize. Typically a slice of cheese is placed on top of the pattie while it’s in the pan along with the bun and the whole thing is covered to trap in the moisture, to warm the buns with the onions steam! The crispy beef, caramelized onions, melted cheese, and onion steamed buns is simply magical! I like to finish the burgers off with mustard and pickles! Yum!
Oklahoma Onion Burgers
Easy to make smashed burgers with caramelized onions! So simple. So good!
- 20 ounces ground beef*
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 4 slices cheese (American or cheddar)
- 4 buns (gluten-free for gluten-free)
- Divide the beef into 8 equal portions and form into balls.
- Heat a heavy bottomed pan/skillet over medium-high heat, place the balls into the pan, smash them down to about 1/3 inch thick, and season with salt and pepper to taste. (You may need to do this in batches.)
- Spread the onions on top and let the meat cook until the meat gets golden brown and caramelized before flipping.
- Let the onions cook until they start to get tender, about 1 minute, place the cheese on top, followed by the buns, cover, and let cook until the onions start to brown, 1-2 minutes.
- Assemble the burgers and enjoy!
Tip: Slice the onions thinly using a mandoline.
Option: Place the sliced onion in a wire mesh strainer, mix with some salt, and let it sit for 30 minutes before squeezing out the excess moisture and patting dry. This step helps remove moisture from the onions and lets them caramelise quicker.
Option: Add your favourite condiments such as: mustard, pickles, etc.
Burgers Smothered in a Caramelized Onion, Mushroom and Blue Cheese Sauce
Biftekia Gemista (Feta Stuffed Burgers)
Bacon Double Cheese Burger Dip
Bacon Double Cheese Burger Salad
Bacon and Cheese Corned Beef Burgers with Guinness Caramelized Onions and a Fried Egg
Bacon Wrapped Guacamole Stuffed Burgers