French onion soup is so amazingly good but it requires a bit of time and effort to stand at the stove for a few hours, properly, caramelizing the onions… needless to say, I do not make it too often. This slow cooker version takes almost no effort at all and it’s almost as good! This version is as easy as slicing the onions, which, unfortunately, is still tear inducing, throwing them into the slow cooker to slowly caramelize before adding the broth and the remaining soup ingredients to cook a bit more. The onions take a long time to caramelize in the slow cooker, at 10+ hours, but they do not require any attention so you can let them cook overnight (or all day long). Once the soup is made you top it with toasted baguette slices along with plenty of cheese and broil to melt the cheese before digging in! Finally, a french onion soup that I can make all the time!
Slow Cooker French Onion Soup
A super easy version of french onion soup made in a slow cooker! Sweet caramelized onions in a tasty broth topped with toast and plenty of melted cheese! Yum!
- 3 pounds onions, sliced
- 3 tablespoons butter
- salt and pepper to taste
- 6 cups beef broth (or vegetable broth)
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme, chopped (or 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme)
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 8 slices baguette, toasted
- 1 cup gruyere, grated
- Place the onions, butter, salt and pepper in a slow cooker and cook on low for 10-12 hours.
- Add the broth, thyme, balsamic vinegar, and Worcestershire sauce and cook on low for 2-4 hours.
- Divide the soup between 4 oven safe bowls, top with the baguette and sprinkle on the cheese before broiling in the oven until the cheese has melted, about 2 minutes.
Option: Add 1-3 tablespoons brandy!
Option: Replace gruyere with another cheese like swiss, mozzarella or an Italian blend.
Note: This recipe makes for 4 2 cup servings (meal sized) or 8 1 cup servings (side dish sized).
French Onion Soup
Slow Cooker Chipotle Maple Onion Jam
Apple French Onion Soup
Guinness ‘French’ Onion Soup
Hot Caramelized Onion Dip
Roasted Beets with Caramelized Onions and Feta
Chipotle Caramelized Onions
Ale and Cheddar Soup
French Onion Soup Dip
Cauliflower and Cheddar Soup
Split Pea Soup
Ham and Bean Soup
French Onion Chicken