When entertaining over the holidays it is a good idea to have some tasty appetizers on hand. Although the holiday cookies are always welcome it is also nice to have something savoury and it is hard to go wrong with a melted cheesy dip! A while ago I made a hot sweet onion dip that was so good! The sweet onion went surprisingly well with the melted cheese! While I was enjoying the hot sweet onion dip I thought, why not caramelize the onions first? I had to try the caramelized onion version of the dip so I filed the idea away for later and now was the time to finally try it. Properly caramelizing onions can take a bit of patience as it takes several hours to slowly cook them down until they have turned a nice golden brown colour but the final result is so worth the effort. After cooking for all of that time the onions that started out pretty pungent mellow out and in fact become quite sweet. These sweet caramelized onions worked amazingly well in the savoury, creamy dip covered in melted cheesy goodness! I enjoyed the hot caramelized onion dip on a sliced fresh whole grain baguette but chips or even vegetables would also make for some great dipping pleasure.
Hot Caramelized Onion Dip
Sweet caramelized onions in a hot cheese dip!
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 4 large sweet onions, sliced
- 1/2 cup water
- 4 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup parmigiano reggiano (parmesan cheese), grated
- pepper to taste
- Heat the oil in a pan over medium-low heat, add the onions and water and cook until completely tender and caramelized and golden, about 40-50 minutes, stirring every 10 minutes or so, adding more water as needed.
- Mix everything and place it in a baking dish.
- Bake in a preheated 350F/180C oven until the sides are bubbling and the top is nice and golden brown, about 20-30 minutes.
Hot Sweet Onion Dip
Hot Spinach and Artichoke Dip
Hot Cheesy Spinach and Crab Dip
French Onion Soup
Chipotle Caramelized Onions
Apple French Onion Soup
Roasted Cauliflower and Aged White Cheddar Dip
French Onion Soup Dip
Slow Cooker Chipotle Maple Onion Jam
Slow Cooker French Onion Soup