This is simple texmex spiced chicken that can be used in many dishes such as tacos, burritos, enchiladas, quesadillas, etc.
Texmex Shredded Chicken
Prep Time: 20 minutes Cook Time: 1 hour 20 minutes Total Time: 1 hour 40 minutes Servings: 4
- 1 small chicken
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 small onion (chopped)
- 2 cloves garlic (chopped)
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 1 cup tomato puree
- salt and pepper to taste
- Rinse the chicken.
- Place chicken in a pot and cover with water.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 1 hour.
- Shred the chicken. (Forks work well for this.)
- Heat the oil in a pan.
- Add the onions and saute until tender, about 5-7 minutes.
- Add the garlic, chili and cumin and saute until fragrant, about a minute.
- Add the shredded chicken, oregano, tomato sauce, salt and pepper and cook for 5-10 minutes.
This sounds like a wonderful recipe. I am intending on using boneless chicken tenders / chicken breasts for this recipe. How much of those (weight) should I be using?
Vasu: One to two pounds of chicken tenders/breast.
What do you mean by 'tomato sauce'?
Is this pureed tomatoes, tomato paste, or ketchup?
(Sorry for the confusion, I'm from Australia and just want to clarfiy!)
Thanks in advance 🙂
Lisa: I mean a tomato puree or crushed tomatoes here. Sorry for the confusion.
Ah…..Yummy. I had chicken thighs steamed already so I used those. This is an awesome recipe. Burritos came out delicious. Thanks for sharing your culinary brilliance. 🙂
Oh and I used tomato paste cause that is what I had and it's so inexpensive. I had used the first part of the can for Mexican Rice.