Last week when I made the lasagna stuffed spaghetti squash I tried to keep things nice and light and healthy but I could not help but think about doing something similar only a bit naughtier, a hot melted cheesy lasagna dip! I am a huge fan of dips, especially when they have plenty of hot melted cheese and since lasagna is one of my favourite meals I knew that a lasagna dip was sure to be amazing! The basic idea behind this dip was to use the layers of a lasagna in a dip including a base of cheese and a quick, easy and tasty tomato meat sauce all topped off with plenty of melted mozzarella! My mom always made lasagna with cottage cheese for the cheese layer so I am rather partial to that but ricotta or even cream cheese would also work well. For the tomato based meat sauce I kept things lighter and healthy going with turkey for the meat and I packed the sauce with plenty of flavour! I have to say that this dip is truly spectacular and it really does remind me of lasagna, though it is a lot easier to make and perfect for enjoying while watching the game!
You really cannot go wrong with a hot melted cheese dip with all of the flavours of lasagna!
All of the flavours of lasagna in a hot cheesy dip with no regrets!
- 1/2 pound ground turkey
- 1 cup lasagna tomato sauce (see below)
- 1 cup low fat cottage cheese or ricotta or cream cheese
- 1 cup partially skim mozzarella, shredded
- Cook the turkey, add the tomato sauce and simmer until it thickens a bit, about 3-5 minutes.
- Spread the cottage cheese over the bottom of a baking dish, followed by the sauce and finally the mozzarella.
- Bake in a preheated 350F/180C oven until the top is a light golden brown and the sides are bubbling, about 15-20 minutes.
Slow Cooker: Implement step 1, layer everything in the slow cooker the same as in the pan and cook until the cheese is nice and melted about 1-2 hours on high or 2-4 hours on low.
Option: Use ground beef or Italian sausage instead of ground turkey or omit the meat entirely.
Option: Use marinara sauce or your favourite tomato sauce instead of making the lasagna sauce from scratch.
A simple and tasty tomato sauce that is perfect for pasta, pizzas, lasagna, etc.
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon fennel seeds, crushed (optional)
- 1 (15 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste (optional)
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning or oregano
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika (optional)
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar (optional)
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon basil, chopped (optional)
- Heat the oil in a pan over medium heat, add the onion and cook until tender, about 5-7 minutes.
- Add the garlic, red pepper flakes, and fennel and cook until fragrant, about a minute.
- Add the tomatoes, tomato paste, Italian seasoning, bay leaf, paprika, balsamic vinegar, salt and pepper, bring to a boil, reduce the heat, simmer until until it thickens, about 5 minutes, and then mix in the basil and remove from heat.
Option: Cover and simmer for longer to develop more flavour.
Option: Add one 2 inch piece of parmesan rind to the sauce while it simmers.