With spring here I have been looking for lighter meals and you really can't go wrong with a quick, easy and tasty stir-fry! One of my favourite Chinese takeout dishes is honey lemon chicken and this is my lighter and healthier homemade version where I stir-fry the chicken instead of battering it and frying it in tons of oil. The tasty sauce is what makes this dish shine and the lemon is just perfect for spring especially when accompanied by a spring vegetable like asparagus! This stir-fry is great for quick weeknight meals since it comes together in less than twenty minutes, which is less time than it takes to cook the rice! Speaking of rice, I often like to serve the honey lemon chicken and asparagus stir-fry on cauliflower 'rice' to make for a even healthier meal!
Honey Lemon Chicken and Asparagus Stir Fry
Prep Time: 10 minutes Cook Time: 10 minutes Total Time: 20 minutes Servings: 4
A quick, easy, light and healthy honey lemon chicken stir-fry with asparagus.
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 pound chicken, cut into bite sized pieces
- 1 pound asparagus, trimmed and cut into 1 inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice (~1/2 lemon)
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce (tamari for gluten-free)
- 1/4 cup chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon chill sauce such as sambal oelek or sriracha
- 1 clove garlic, grated
- 1 teaspoon ginger, grated
- 1 tablespoon water
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- Heat the oil in a pan over medium-high heat, add the chicken and stir fry until cooked through, about 2-4 minutes.
- Add the asparagus and stir fry until it turns a brighter green, about 2 minutes.
- Add the mixture of the honey, lemon juice, soy sauce, broth, chill sauce, lemon zest, garlic, ginger and the mixture of the water and the corn starch, toss to coat and cook until the sauce thickens, about a minute.
Option: Add some cashews with the asparagus.