Honey garlic chicken is a classic Chinese takeout dish that’s super tasty and easy to make at home! The star of this dish is the sauce which highlights garlic in a sweet honey sauce that’s also seasoned with salty soy sauce, sour vinegar and some optional spicy heat from chili pepper flakes. The sauce is finished off with some smooth and creamy butter and I like to add a vegetable to the mix, such as snap peas, broccoli, bell peppers, etc. There is usually a meat such as chicken, shrimp, beef, pork and it can either be coated and fried until crispy or simply sauteed for a lighter version. This honey garlic chicken takes lees time to make than it takes to steam rice which makes for a complete meal!
Honey Garlic Chicken
Crispy pieces of chicken in a sweet and tasty honey garlic sauce!
- 1 pound boneless and skinless chicken breasts or thighs, cut into bite sized pieces
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup corn starch
- 2 tablespoons oil (peanut or vegetable)
- 1/3 cup honey
- 2 tablespoons garlic, chopped
- 1/3 cup chicken broth (or water)
- 1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar (or apple cider vinegar, or white vinegar)
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 pinch red pepper flakes (optional)
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon butter (optional)
- Mix the chicken into the egg until fully coated before mixing in the corn starch until just evenly coated.
- Heat the oil in a pan over medium-high heat, add the chicken, separate, and cook until golden brown, about 2-4 minutes per side.
- Meanwhile, mix the honey, garlic, broth, vinegar, soy sauce, red pepper flakes, and cornstarch.
- Add the sauce mixture to the pan, bring it to a boil and simmer until it thickens a bit, about a minute.
- Add the butter and let it melt into the sauce before enjoying!
Option: Omit the egg and cornstarch coating and cook the chicken in 1 tablespoon of oil for a lighter version!
Option: Add a vegetable such as snap peas, sugar peas, bell pepper, broccoli, etc.
Option: Add 1 teaspoon sesame oil.
Option: Add 1 tablespoon toasted sesame seeds.
General Tso’s Chicken
20 Minute Skinny Sesame Chicken
20 Minute Light Cashew Chicken
20 Minute Light Sweet and Sour Chicken
20 Minute Light Orange Chicken
20 Minute Skinny Mongolian Beef
Slow Cooker Honey Garlic Sesame Chicken
Sweet and Sour Pork
Slow Cooker Chicken Carnitas Tacos
Honey Lemon Chicken and Asparagus Stir Fry
Honey Lemon Chicken
Kung Pao Chicken
Sweet and Sour Chicken
Creamy Lemon Chicken
Quick and Easy Beef and Pepper Stir-fry
Pineapple Char Siu Pulled Pork Sliders
Spicy Peanut Chicken Rice Bowl
Sweet Chili Chicken Rice Bowl
Honey and Lime Jalapeno Chicken
Slow Cooker Mongolian Beef
Slow Cooker Peanut Chicken Sweet Potato Boats
Skillet Sweet Chili Chicken
Sticky Honey Sriracha Chicken Bites
Judy Goldin says
Is corn starch what us Brits call cornflour?
Possibly the worst directions EVER! Does a tablespoon of cornstarch go in with the meat before the sauce or does the 1/2 cup of cornstarch go in with the meat before the sauce. My sauce turned out so thick & clumpy. Literally worst directions ever
The ingredients are listed in the order that they are used. The 1/2 cup of cornstarch is mixed in with the chicken and the egg and the 1 tablespoon of cornstarch is used in the honey garlic sauce.
Alessandria Archibald says
Delicious Recipe, my whole family loves it! Easy recipe to follow as well!!!