It's time for another soup and this time it's a cauliflower chowder that is so quick, easy, light, healthy and so tasty that you'll be coming back for seconds every time! My favourite cauliflower soup is my roasted cauliflower and aged white cheddar soup where the cauliflower is pureed to make a smooth soup but it's also nice to get the texture of the cauliflower and this chowder does just that. This recipe could not be simpler, you just saute the standard three veggies, onions, carrots and celery in oil, add some flour as a thickener, add the broth and cauliflower, simmer until the cauliflower is tender, add the cream and season to taste. The recipe as written is really good but I like to kick things up a bit by adding some umami in the form of melting parmesan cheese into the chowder, adding miso paste and finally by giving into my inner bacon addiction and topping things off with some crispy bacon! This is definitely one of my new favourite soups with it being both hearty and tasty while also being light and healthy and it's also a bowl of pure comfort food that is perfect for these cold winter days!
Perfect all by itself but even better with a touch of parmesan!
Bacon is always a welcome addition!
A quick, easy, light, healthy and tasty chowder starring cauliflower as the main ingredient that is a bowl of comfort food at it's best!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil or butter
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 carrots, diced
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 teaspoon thyme, chopped
- 1/4 cup flour (rice flour for gluten free)
- 4 cups low sodium vegetable broth or chicken broth
- 1 head cauliflower, cut into bite sized pieces
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 cup milk or cream
- salt, pepper and cayenne to taste
- Heat the oil in a large sauce pan over medium-high heat, add the onions, carrots and celery and cook until tender, about 8-10 minutes.
- Mix in the garlic, thyme and flour and cook until the flour is lightly browned, about 2-3 minutes.
- Slowly stir in the broth, deglazing the pan as you go, add the cauliflower and bay leaves, bring to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer until the cauliflower is tender, about 10-15 minutes.
- Add the cream, season with salt, pepper and cayenne to taste, remove the bay leaves, remove from the heat and enjoy.
Option: Add 1-2 tablespoons white miso paste by taking some of the hot broth and mixing it into the miso in a bowl and then mixing it back into the chowder as you remove it from the heat. (The miso adds a nice umami flavour!) Note: miso is salty so you will not need to season with as much salt.
Option: Add 1/2 cup parmesan cheese! (More umami flavour!)
Option: Top with crumbled bacon!
Note: The cook time will vary depending on how large or small you cut the cauliflower.
Ham and Potato Corn Chowder
Roasted Cauliflower and Aged White Cheddar Soup
Creamy Roasted Red Pepper and Cauliflower Soup with Goat Cheese
Creamy Mushroom and Roasted Cauliflower Soup
Buffalo Chicken Chowder
Shrimp and Roasted Corn Chowder
Chipotle Chicken and Corn Bacon Chowder