It's soup season and I have a wonderful new recipe to share with you, a creamy maple brie and cheddar apple soup with walnut granola! This soup was inspired by a sweet and savoury version of apple pie where there is cheddar cheese in the apple pie and I was thinking that it would make for a fabulous soup! (Yes, apple pie with cheddar cheese is an actual thing!) I started out with apples of course and I built up the soup with broth and apple cider along with the cheddar cheese. Apple pie is amazing when served with vanilla ice cream so I wanted to add that creamy aspect to the soup which I could have done simply by adding cream but I really enjoy using brie cheese to add creaminess to soups so I use that along with a bit of vanilla. Next up I added some maple syrup to enhance the sweetness of the apples and add the maple flavour and aroma. I started out thinking about apple pie for this soup but when it came to the idea of incorporating the crust I switched tracks and moved over to the idea of an apple crumble and I went with a simple walnut and granola crumble for a garnish which adds a nice crunchy texture! The resulting soup is a spectacular blend of sweet and savoury that is decadently creamy; a bowl of pure delight! This soup is good served warm or chilled and it makes the perfect side for any holiday dinner or a larger bowl makes for a nice light meal!
Creamy Maple Brie and Cheddar Apple Soup with Walnut-Oat Granola
A wonderfully creamy, sweet and savoury apple and brie soup with maple and cheddar topped with a crunchy walnut and oat crumble!
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 teaspoon thyme, chopped (or 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme)
- 2 cups chicken broth or vegetable broth or ham broth
- 2 cups apple cider
- 6 large apples, peeled, cored and diced
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup (or brown sugar)
- 1 cup aged/sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 8 ounces brie, sliced
- salt and pepper to taste
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 cup old fashioned rolled oats
- 1 cup walnuts, coarsely chopped
For the soup:
For the granola:
- Heat the oil in a pan over medium-high heat, add the onions and cook until tender, about 3-5 minutes.
- Add the garlic and thyme and cook until fragrant, about a minute.
- Add the broth, cider and apples, bring to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer until the apples are tender, about 20 minutes.
- Add the vanilla, maple syrup, cheddar and brie and cook until the cheese has melted, about 5 minutes.
- Puree the soup in a blender and optionally strain andy bits of brie rind that may remain before seasoning with salt and pepper before enjoying!
- Pulse the butter, flour, sugar, salt and cinnamon in a food processor until grainy.
- Mix in the rolled oats and nuts with your hands until they clump up before spreading in a single layer on a baking sheet.
- Bake in a preheated 375F/190C oven until lightly golden brown, about 10-20 minutes, mixing every 5-10 minutes, mixing every 5 minutes.
For the soup:
For the granola:
Option: Replace the broth with more cider, or beer, or hard cider, etc.
Option: Add a pinch of cayenne for a bit of heat.
Option: Add a hint of dijon mustard.
Note: Skip granola for gluten-free.
Roasted Apple and Aged White Cheddar Soup
Caramelized Pear and Blue Cheese Soup
Apple French Onion Soup
Roasted Cauliflower and Aged White Cheddar Soup
Roasted Broccoli and Cheddar Soup
Apple and Cheddar Sticky Buns
Caramel Apple Grilled Cheese Sandwich
Apple, Cheddar and Bacon Fritters in Caramel Sauce
Cream of Mushroom Soup
Creamy Curried Coconut Carrot Soup