While looking for food blogging events to take part in I found out that it was going to be National Oatmeal Cookie day on April 30th and that Jennifer of Savor the Thyme was hosting an Oatmeal Cookie Challenge . I hardly needed an excuse to make cookies so I was in! I see oatmeal cookies as a healthier version of chocolate chip cookies and I like the texture that the rolled oats adds; quite possibly making them my favorite type of cookie. I have a huge list of of different flavour combinations of oatmeal cookies that I want to try and on the top of that was apricot and white chocolate oatmeal cookies, though dark chocolate and dried cherry oatmeal cookies were a close second.
The last time I made oatmeal cookies the oats seemed to vanish when they baked so this time I reduced the flour a bit and tripled the amount of rolled oats. The apricot and white chocolate oatmeal cookies turned out great! The cookies smelled so amazingly good while baking and even after. They were nice and moist and chewy on the inside and just slightly crispy on the edges, just the way I like them. My only complaint, and it is a minor one, was that the apricot flavour was a bit to subtle. I think that the next time I make them, and there will be a next time, I will cut the dried apricots into four pieces instead of six making each piece bigger. This time the rolled oats were a lot more visible and the texture they added to the cookies was really nice.
Apricot and White Chocolate Oatmeal Cookies
- 1/2 cup butter (softened)
- 1/2 cup brown sugar (packed)
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 1/2 cup dried apricots (chopped)
- 1/2 cup white chocolate (coarsely chopped)
- Cream the butter and sugar in a bowl.
- Beat in the egg and vanilla extract.
- Mix the flour, baking soda and salt in another bowl.
- Mix the dry ingredients into the wet.
- Mix in the rolled oats, apricots and white chocolate.
- Place the dough onto a cookie sheet one table spoon at a time.
- Bake in a 350F/180C preheated oven for 8-10 minutes.
Cranberry, Pistachio and White Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Cookies
Chocolate Chunk and Pecan Cookies
White Chocolate Chunk and Macadamia Nut Cookies
Thick and Chewy Chocolate Chunk Peanut Butter Cookies
Lemon Curd White Chocolate Chip Cookies
Soft and Chewy Banana Peanut Butter Cookies with Chocolate Chunks and Bacon