Saint Patrick’s Day is right around the corner and I have been thinking about Irish style recipes to help celebrate with! Dublin Coddle is an Irish style sausage and potato stew that’s super easy to make and just packed with flavour! The basic ingredients are sausage, bacon, onions, potatoes, and broth. The bacon is cooked until crispy, the sausages are browned and the onions are cooked a little before everything is thrown into the pot to be slowly simmered for a few hours. You can simmer this on the stovetop, or throw it into the oven or even into a slow cooker! I like to serve coddle with fresh baked Irish soda bread making for one hearty and tasty meal!
Serve with whole or sliced sausages!
Dublin Coddle (Irish Sausage and Potato Stew)
An Irish style stew with sausage, bacon and potatoes.
- 6 ounces bacon, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 pound pork sausage
- 2 large potatoes, peeled and cut into bite sized pieces
- 2 large onions, sliced
- 3 cups beef broth (or chicken broth)
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons parsley, chopped
- Cook the bacon in a large saucepan and set aside, reserving 2 tablespoons of the bacon grease in the pan.
- Add the sausage and brown on all sides before setting aside.
- Add the onion to the saucepan and cook until tender.
- Sprinkle the potatoes on top of the onions, followed by the bacon, sausage and the broth, bring to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer, covered, for 2 hours. (Option: Transfer the pot to a preheated 350F/180C oven and roast, covered, for 2 hours. OR Transfer everything to a slow cooker and cook on low for 8-10 hours or on high for 3-4 hours.)
- Season with salt and pepper to taste, mix in the parsley and enjoy!
Option: Add 2 cups sliced cabbage.
Option: Add 1/2 cup barley and 1 1/2 cups broth!
Option: Add 2 bay leaves.
Option: Add 1 teaspoon thyme.
Option: Add 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar.
Option: Add 1 teaspoon worcestershire sauce.
Option: Replace some or all of the broth with Irish stout or beer.
Tip: Serve with Irish soda bread
Irish Beef Stew
Steak and Guinness Stew with Irish White Cheddar Cauliflower Mash
Italian Style Beef Stew with Butternut Squash
Nikujaga (Japanese Beef Stew)
Beef and Barley Soup
Irish Lamb Stew
Jamaican Style Jerk Beef Stew
Corned Beef and Cabbage Soup
Slow Braised Beef Stroganoff Soup
Pot Roast Beef Stroganoff
Beef Massaman Curry
Carne Guisada (Braised Beef)
Bangers and Colcannon with Guinness Onion Gravy
Boxty (Irish Potato Pancakes) with Bangers in a Guinness Mushroom and Onion Gravy