Fall is the time for warming bowls of soup and this pumpkin and roasted red pepper soup is down right good comfort food! The basic idea behind this soup is to combine sweet roasted pumpkin puree and roasted red peppers with the warmth and smokiness of paprika along with a touch of heat from cayenne; thew perfect combination of sweet and savoury! This soup is super easy to make! You can use canned pumpkin puree or homemade pumpkin puree and you can use either jarred roasted red peppers or you can use homemade roasted red peppers. This soup makes for a great side or a light meal, especially when served garnished with plenty of Spanish style chorizo and crispy bacon, along with crusty bread! I also like to swirl on a garish of cream and a sprinkling of pepitas or roasted pumpkin seeds.
If you like, this soup is also nice with apple, for some extra fall goodness!
Pumpkin and Red Pepper Soup
A comforting pumpkin and roasted red pepper soup with a smokey paprika warmth!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (or to taste)
- 4 cups vegetable broth (or chicken broth)
- 2 roasted red peppers
- 2 cups pumpkin puree (or 1 15 ounce can)
- salt and pepper to taste
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium heat, add the onion and cook until tender, about 7-10 minutes.
- Add the garlic, paprika, cumin and cayenne and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Add the broth, pumpkin and red peppers, bring to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Puree with a stick blender, or in a blender or food processor, before seasoning with salt and pepper to taste.
Option: Add thyme.
Option: Add 1 tablespoon tomato paste.
Option: Add 1 apple or 1/2 cup unsweetened apple sauce.
Option: Add 1 (15 ounce) can chickpeas, drained and rinsed for a thicker and creamier soup.
Option: Add cream or serve garnished with cream.
Option: Serve garnished with fried spanish style chorizo.
Option: Serve garnished with cooked and crumbled bacon.
Option: Serve garnished with pepitas.
Pumpkin and Chorizo Soup with Cilantro
Pumpkin and Black Bean Soup
Pumpkin Chorizo and Black Bean Soup
Thai Pumpkin Soup
Sweet Potato and Peanut Soup
Pumpkin and Shrimp Bisque
Thai Peanut Pumpkin Turkey Curry
Roasted Pumpkin, Pancetta and Sage Soup
Italian Sausage Butternut Squash Soup
Chipotle Sweet Potato Soup
Creamy Roasted Red Pepper and Cauliflower Soup with Goat Cheese