Chicken parmesan, aka chicken parmigiana, aka chicken parm, is a popular dish consisting of breaded chicken, tomato sauce and melted cheese. This can be found on many restaurant menus and it’s also easy to make at home! I like to start by seasoning chicken with Italian seasoning (or oregano), before coating it with a combination of grated parmesan cheese and panko breadcrumbs and frying it until it’s nice and golden brown and crispy! After the chicken is fried it’s topped with plenty of mozzarella cheese before baking until it melts. You can place the chicken on top of the tomato sauce in a pan before adding the cheese and baking or heat up the sauce separately. You can enjoy chicken parm in a number of ways, I like it on top of pasta to soak up extra sauce and it’s also great in a sandwich or even on top of a salad! Although chicken is my go-to meat, you can also use veal or even go vegetarian with eggplant slices!
The classic, and amazing chicken parmesan; chicken coated in parmesan and crispy fried bread crumbs and smothered in melted mozzarella and tasty marinara sauce!
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning (or oregano)
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup breadcrumbs (gluten-free for gluten-free) (I like panko)
- 1/4 cup parmigiano reggiano (parmesan cheese), grated
- 2 tablespoons flour
- oil for frying
- 1 pound chicken breasts (boneless and skinless), pounded thin or butterflied
- 1 cup mozzarella, shredded
- 2 cups marinara sauce
- Mix the eggs, Italian seasoning, salt and pepper in a wide bowl.
- Mix the breadcrumbs and parmesan in another bowl.
- Heat oil in a pan over medium heat.
- Lightly dust the chicken in the flour, shaking off any excess.
- Dip the chicken in the egg mixture, shaking off any excess.
- Press the chicken into the breadcrumbs to coat on all sides and shake off any excess.
- Cook the chicken in the oil in the pan until golden brown on both sides and place on a baking pan.
- Sprinkle on the mozzarella and bake in a preheated 350F/180C oven until the cheese has melted, about 5-10 minutes.
- Heat the marinara sauce and serve the chicken with the sauce!
Option: Cook pasta while making the chicken parm for a complete meal that’s ready in less than 30 minutes!
Lemon Chicken Romano
Crispy Baked Quinoa Crusted Chicken Parmesan
Honey Dijon Pretzel Chicken
Parmesan and Herb Crusted Salmon with Lemon Cream Sauce
Chicken Fried Steak
Crispy Cheddar Chicken
Crispy Parmesan Crusted Chicken
Chicken in a Creamy Parmesan and Sundried Tomato Sauce
Chicken Parmesan Salisbury Steak
Hi Kevin, I made this yesterday for dinner guests. It was fantastic. Used fresh oregano, and homemade tomato basil sauce and served with spaghettini. Will definitely make this again. I had made extra and reheated it tonight, and it tasted just as good. Thanks for the great recipe.