Zucchini is in season and there are so many great ways to enjoy it! One fun way to use zucchini is to shred it and mix it into things like salads, burgers, soups, breads, cakes, cookies, etc. and I particularly enjoy mixing it into rice! This zucchini ripe is super simple! It’s pretty much as easy to make as cooking rice and mixing the zucchini along with some parmesan cheese and herbs in. I start things off by cooking onion and garlic before adding the rice to steam. Fresh shredded zucchini is mixed into the rice while it’s still warm from cooking, along with the cheese and a fresh herb. I like to combine parmesan and dill but you can easily change the cheese and the herb! A splash of lemon juice also adds brightness to the rice!
Parmesan Zucchini Rice
Rice with plenty of fresh zucchini, parmesan and a splash of lemon!
- 1 tablespoon oil (or butter)
- 1 cup onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 cup long grained rice
- 2 cups water (or vegetable broth)
- 2 cups zucchini, shredded
- 1/4 cup parmigiano reggiano (parmesan), grated
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 2 tablespoons fresh dill, chopped (or 1/2 teaspoon dried dill)
- salt and pepper to taste
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium heat, add the onion and cook until tender, about 5-7 minutes.
- Add the garlic and cook until fragrant, about a minute.
- Add the rice and water, bring to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer, covered, for 20 minutes.
- Mix the zucchini and parmesan in and let the cheese melt.
- Add the lemon juice, lemon zest and dill before seasoning with salt and pepper to taste.
Option: Use a different herb, such as parsley, basil, cilantro, etc.
Option: Add 2 sliced green onions along with the herb.
Spanakorizo (Greek Spinach Rice)
Cheesy Broccoli Rice
Cilantro and Lime Rice
Cilantro Lime Cauliflower Rice
Cheesy Zucchini Quinoa
Zucchini and Corn Taco Seasoned Quinoa Salad
Greek Style Zucchini Salad
Zucchini Cheese Bread
Corn and Zucchini Chowder
Herbed Zucchini and Feta Quiche with a Brown Rice Crust
Broccoli Cheddar Rice
Mike H says
Is there a best way to shred the zucchini? I don’t think I’ve ever done that before.
I usually a grater, the same one that I use to shred/grate cheddar cheese. Enjoy!
Cathy Keller says
That looks wonderful! Are the yellow bits the lemon zest or yellow squash? That looks like a lot more than 2T if it’s the zest! Will have to try this soon for sure!
I like to use 1/2 green zucchini and 1/2 yellow zucchini for the colour if I can. In these photos the yellow is mostly from the yellow zucchini.
Mary Ann says
Do you squeeze the water out of the zucchini? Looks really good.
Thats my question also.
I do not squeeze the liquid out of the zucchini but you can. Enjoy!