Rice is a staple side dish and it’s so easy to add flavours, like in this broccoli and cheddar rice! Broccoli and cheddar cheese is such a nice flavour combination and they go really well together with rice. This side dish is made in one pan and it starts out by cooking diced onion before adding the rice and broth. The rice is cooked part way before adding the broccoli to cook for the last few minutes. (This way the broccoli is cooked until just tender without being over-cooked.) The cheddar cheese is added at the end and it easily melts into the rice and broccoli. It’s super easy to make this broccoli and cheddar rice, only taking a few minutes more time than it takes to make plain rice, so it’s a great alternative for pretty much any meal!
Broccoli Cheddar Rice
A quick and easy rice side dish with broccoli and plenty of cheese!
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 1 cup jasmine rice
- 2 cups chicken broth (or vegetable broth or water)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 cups broccoli, cut into small pieces
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- salt and pepper to taste
- Heat the butter in a saucepan over medium heat, add the onion and cook until tender, about 5 minutes.
- Add the garlic and cook until fragrant, about a minute.
- Add the rice, mix and cook until the rice starts to turn translucent, about 1-3 minutes.
- Add the broth, bring to a boil, reduce the heat to low and cook, covered, for 15 minutes.
- Add the butter and broccoli, cover and cook for another 5 minutes, before turning off the heat.
- Mix in the cheese and let it melt before seasoning with salt and pepper to taste and enjoying!
Option: Add cooked and diced (or shredded) chicken to make a light meal!
Note: If the broccoli is still a little to hard, let the pot sit, with the lid on, after turning off the heat for another 5 minutes.
Spanakorizo (Greek Spinach Rice)
Roasted Red Pepper and Feta Rice
Avocado Cilantro Lime Rice
Cilantro and Lime Rice
Cheesy Broccoli Quinoa
Cheesy Zucchini Quinoa
Broccoli and Cheddar Quinoa Bites
Broccoli and Cheddar Soup
Broccoli and Cheddar Quiche with a Brown Rice Crust
Loaded Baked Potato Salad
Chicken Cordon Bleu Quinoa Casserole
This was so yummy and easy to make!
My family loved it. I will definitely be making it again.
Easy and delicious! Perfect when you don’t want to turn on my oven! I added chicken to it for a one pot meal! Also added more cheese and chopped broccoli.
Easy and relatively quick (under 30 min), but nothing special. I always use chicken or beef stock to make rice for more flavor.. would be better with 2 cups of cheese instead of one.
I made this recipe. I added an extra cup of sharp cheddar, 1/2 cup of grated parmesan and a package of creamy cheddar cheese sauce for a more creamy cheese flavor. Also, I used pre-cooked broccoli left over and folded it in last with the cheeses. You have created so many delicious recipes.