One of my favourite ingredients in Chinese cuisine is the szechuan (aka sichuan) peppercorn which has an amazing aroma and a mouth numbing effect that pairs well with a touch of spicy heat! Szechuan pepper beef is a fairly common Chinese takeout menu item that’s easy to make at home! Usually this dish uses thinly sliced steak for the beef but it also works with ground beef. Other than the beef and bell peppers, the main ingredient is the tasty szechuan which contains all of the usual suspects along with the szechuan pepper corns and some chili paste. It’s best to use whole szechuan peppercorns that you lightly toast, to bring out their aromas, before grinding and when you combine them with toasted sesame oil, this dish smells out of this world good! This dish takes almost no time at all to make, less time that it takes to steam some rice in fact, so you can have a whole meal ready int 20 minutes!
Szechuan Pepper Ground Beef
A quick and easy ground beef and bell pepper szechuan/sichuan stir-fry!
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce (gluten-free or tamari for gluten-free)
- 2 tablespoon hoisin sauce (gluten-free for gluten-free)
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar (or maple syrup, or honey)
- 1 teaspoon chili sauce (such as sambal oelek or sriracha)
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon garlic, grated
- 1 tablespoon ginger, grated
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/4 cup water (or broth)
- 1 teaspoon szechuan/sichuan peppercorns (lightly toasted and ground)
- 1/2 teaspoon chinese 5 spice
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame seeds
- 1 pound ground beef
- 2 bell peppers, diced
- 4 green onions, thinly sliced, divided into lights/greens
For the sauce:
For the beef:
- Mix everything well.
- Cook the beef in a large pan over medium-high heat, breaking it apart as it cooks, until it is no longer pink, about 5 minutes, draining off any excess grease.
- Add the bell pepper and the whites of the onions and cook, mixing, until the peppers are just tender, about 5 minutes.
- Add the sauce, mix, and simmer until it thickens, about 2-3 minutes.
For the sauce:
For the beef:
Option: Use your favourite veggies.
Option: Start steaming rice before starting this recipe and it will be done at about the same time!
Mongolian Ground Beef
20 Minute Light Mongolian Beef
Beef and Garlic Snap Snape-Fry
Honey Lemon Chicken and Asparagus Stir Fry
Bulgogi (Korean BBQ Beef)
Asparagus, Beef and Shiitake Mushroom Stir-fry
Quick and Easy Beef and Pepper Stir-fry
20 Minute Thai Basil Beef
Steak and Peppers in Black Bean Sauce
Gyudon (Beef Rice Bowl)
Slow Cooker Honey Garlic Sesame Chicken
Sweet and Sour Pork
Honey and Lime Jalapeno Chicken
Slow Cooker Mongolian Beef
Sichuan Poached Beef (Shuizhu)
Chimichurri Grilled Steak
20 Minute Vietnamese Caramel Beef