Lemon chicken is one of my favourite takeout dishes and it’s pretty easy to make at home! I sometimes avoid deep frying because it takes a bit of effort and this recipe fries the chicken in a few tablespoons of oil in the pan so it’s much easier! The crispy coating is made with a simple combination of an egg and cornstarch, which creates a wet batter, that fries up crispy in the oil. The rest of the recipe is the lemon sauce which is as easy to make as mixing all of the ingredients and heating them in the pan to thicken it up. All said and done, it takes about 20 minutes to make this crispy lemon chicken so you can steam some rice while you are making it! If you like, you can also saute some veggies, such as, snap peas, diced peppers, etc., in the pan after the chicken!
Crispy Lemon Chicken
Quick and easy crispy chicken in a light and tasty lemon sauce!
- 1 pound boneless and skinless chicken breasts or thighs, cut into bite sized pieces
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup corn starch
- 2 tablespoons oil (peanut or vegetable)
- 1/4 cup chicken broth (or water)
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest, grated
- 2 tablespoons honey (or sugar)
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce*
- 1 tablespoon garlic, grated
- 1 tablespoon ginger, grated
- 1 pinch red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 green onions, sliced
- Mix the chicken into the egg until fully coated before mixing in the corn starch until just evenly coated.
- Heat the oil in a pan over medium-high heat, add the chicken, separate, and cook until golden brown, about 2-4 minutes per side, before setting aside, reserving the leftover oil in the pan.
- Add the mixture of the chicken broth, lemon juice, lemon zest, honey, soy sauce, garlic, ginger, red pepper flakes and corn starch, to the pan and cook until the sauce thickens, about a minute.
- Add green onions and enjoy!
Note: Using soy sauce will make the sauce darker. If you want a lighter yellow colour, use salt to taste instead of the soy sauce.
Option: Omit the red pepper flakes for no spicy heat; use more for more heat; use less for less heat.
Option: Replace the red pepper flakes with a chili sauce such as sambal oelek or sriracha.
Option: Add a vegetable, such as diced bell pepper, snap peas, etc., along with the chicken.
Option: Add 1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil in step 3!
20 Minute Light Lemon Chicken
Crispy Orange Chicken
20 Minute Light Orange Chicken
Honey Lemon Chicken
Sweet and Sour Chicken
Kung Pao Chicken
Spicy Orange Shrimp
Crispy Honey Lemon Cauliflower on Chili and Garlic Stir Fried Zoodles
Honey Lemon Chicken and Asparagus Stir Fry
Creamy Lemon Chicken
Quick and Easy Beef and Pepper Stir-fry
Harvest Skillet Chicken with Apples, Brussels Sprouts and Sweet Potatoes
Slow Cooker Honey Garlic Sesame Chicken
Sweet and Sour Pork
Honey and Lime Jalapeno Chicken
Slow Cooker Mongolian Beef
Crispy Baked Firecracker Tofu on Coconut Cauliflower Rice
20 Minute Skinny Sesame Chicken
Honey Garlic Chicken
General Tso’s Chicken
Mongolian Ground Beef