Today I have a sweet treat to share with you, salted caramel chocolate chip cookie bars! These bars are basically chocolate chip cookies baked in a large square pan with a thick layer of melted caramel in the middle! You simply take an easy chocolate chip cookie dough recipe, press half of it into a pan, top with melted caramel followed by the rest of the dough before baking. To keep things nice and simple I take chewing caramel candies and melt them in a sauce pan along with some cream which makes it easy to pour over the cookie dough and helps keep the caramel nice and soft after its baked into the bars. If you are feeling a little adventurous, sprinkle some coarse salt over the caramel for a sweet and salty treat! These salted caramel chocolate chip cookie bars are the perfect combination of chocolate and caramel in cookie bars!
Salted Caramel Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars
Soft and tender chocolate chip cookie bars filled with ooey gooey caramel!
- 3/4 cup (1 1/2 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 1/4 cups brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract (optional)
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon fine salt
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- 8 ounces caramels
- 1/4 cup heavy/whipping cream
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse grain salt (optional)
- Cream the butter and sugar together before mixing in the vanilla extract followed by the egg.
- Mix the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt before mixing into the wet ingredients.
- Mix in the chocolate chips and press 1/2 of the mixture into the bottom of a greased 8 inch square baking pan.
- Melt the caramels into the cream in a small sauce pan over medium heat before pouring onto the bottom layer in the baking pan and topping with the salt followed by the remaining dough.
- Bake in a preheated 350F/180C oven until the sides are lightly golden brown and the caramel is bubbling, about 15-20 minutes before removing from the oven to cool before slicing and enjoying!
Ultimate Fudgy Cocoa Brownies
Rolo Cheesecake Bars
Caramel Apple Crisp Bars
Bacon Chocolate Chip Cookies
Thick and Chewy Chocolate Chunk Peanut Butter Cookies
Peppermint White Chocolate Chip Cookies
Maraschino Cherry Chocolate Chip Cookies
S’mores Chocolate Chip Cookies
Peanut Butter Cookies
Cranberry White Chocolate Chip Cookies
Cranberry Bliss Bars
Apricot White Chocolate and Macadamia Nut Blondies