Today I have a sweet treat to share with you, salted caramel chocolate chip cookie bars! These bars are basically chocolate chip cookies baked in a large square pan with a thick layer of melted caramel in the middle! You simply take an easy chocolate chip cookie dough recipe, press half of it into a pan, top with melted caramel followed by the rest of the dough before baking. To keep things nice and simple I take chewing caramel candies and melt them in a sauce pan along with some cream which makes it easy to pour over the cookie dough and helps keep the caramel nice and soft after its baked into the bars. If you are feeling a little adventurous, sprinkle some coarse salt over the caramel for a sweet and salty treat! These salted caramel chocolate chip cookie bars are the perfect combination of chocolate and caramel in cookie bars!
Updated: 2020/12/14 – added tips to recipe
Salted Caramel Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars
Soft and tender chocolate chip cookie bars filled with ooey gooey caramel!
- 8 ounces caramels
- 1/4 cup heavy/whipping cream
- 3/4 cup (1 1/2 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 1/4 cups brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract (optional)
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse grain salt (optional)
- Melt the caramels into the cream in a small sauce pan over medium heat before setting it aside to cool while you continue on.
- Cream the butter and sugar together before mixing in the vanilla extract followed by the egg.
- Mix the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt before mixing into the butter and sugar mixture, before mixing in the chocolate chips.
- Press 1/2 of the mixture into the bottom of a greased 8 inch square baking pan, pour the caramel on top, sprinkle on the salt, and gently press the remaining dough on top.
- Bake in a preheated 350F/180C oven until the sides are lightly golden brown and the caramel is bubbling, about 15-20 minutes before removing from the oven to cool before slicing and enjoying!
Option: Use a 9×13 inch baking dish for thinner bars.
Tip: Pressing the dough on top of the caramel can be a bit tricky. I like to grab pieces of dough, press it flat between my hands and then gently press it down on top of the caramel; there is no need to cover 100% of the caramel, small holes are ok.
Ultimate Fudgy Cocoa Brownies
Rolo Cheesecake Bars
Caramel Apple Crisp Bars
Bacon Chocolate Chip Cookies
Thick and Chewy Chocolate Chunk Peanut Butter Cookies
Peppermint White Chocolate Chip Cookies
Maraschino Cherry Chocolate Chip Cookies
S’mores Chocolate Chip Cookies
Peanut Butter Cookies
Cranberry White Chocolate Chip Cookies
Cranberry Bliss Bars
Apricot White Chocolate and Macadamia Nut Blondies