Garlic is one of my favourite foods and it can be used in a number of ways from raw, to sauteed, roasted, and it can even be fried until crispy. When I came across a recipe for a chicken and rice soup that was garnished with crispy fried garlic and garlic browned butter, I just had to make it! This is a pretty simple chicken and rice soup where chicken and rice are simmered in broth until the rice is tender and the chicken is cooked, before it’s shredded or diced. It’s seasoned with onion, thyme and parmesan cheese along with spinach and a hit of lemon juice for freshness. The star of the show, the crispy fried garlic and garlic browned butter comes from thinly slicing a lot of garlic before frying it in plenty of butter until the garlic is golden brown and crispy and the butter is cooked until it starts to turn a light golden brown, infusing it with all sorts of amazing garlic flavour! Yum! This soup is perfect comfort food for cool Fall days, or any other days for that matter!
Chicken and Rice Soup with Crispy Garlic Butter
A tasty chicken and rice soup served with crispy fried garlic and garlic browned butter!
- 1/4 cup butter
- 6 cloves garlic, sliced thinly
- 1 onion, diced
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional)
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 1 pound boneless and skinless chicken thighs (or breasts)
- 1 cup rice (or rice blend)
- 4 cups baby spinach
- 1/4 cup parmigiano reggiano (parmesan), grated
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice (optional)
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced (optional)
- Melt the butter in a large saucepan over medium heat, add the garlic and cook until the garlic is crispy and golden brown and the butter is lightly browned before setting the garlic and all but 1 tablespoon of the butter aside.
- Add the onion to the pan and cook in the remaining butter until tender, about 5-7 minutes.
- Add the thyme and red pepper flakes and cook until fragrant, about a minute.
- Add the broth, chicken and rice, bring to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer until the rice is tender and the chicken is cooked through, about 20 minutes.
- Remove the chicken and shred or dice before returning it to the soup.
- Add the spinach and parmesan and cook until the spinach has wilted and the cheese has melted into the soup, about 2-3 minutes
- Add the lemon juice and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve garnished with green onions, and the crispy fried garlic and browned butter along with extra parmesan if desired.
Option: Add 1 ounce of dried mushrooms! (Soak in 1/2 cup just boiled water until tender, chop the mushrooms and add with the thyme and red pepper flakes, reserving soaking water to add with the broth.)
Option: Add 1 tablespoon white miso! At the end by mixing 1/4 cup of the broth from the soup into the miso in a small bowl before adding back to the soup.
Option: Add 1/2 cup heavy/whipping cream for a creamier soup!
Option: Instead of using raw chicken that is cooked in the soup, use leftover already cooked and shredded or diced chicken.
Creamy Mushroom Chicken and Wild Rice Soup
Avgolemono Soup (aka Greek Lemon Chicken Soup)
Lemon Chicken Orzo Soup
Chicken Noodle Soup
Thai Chicken Noodle Soup
Chicken Tortilla Soup
Chicken and Sweet Corn Soup
Tom Yum Gai (Thai Hot and Sour Chicken Soup)
Spicy Roasted Corn and Jalapeno Avocado Soup
Colombian Chicken and Corn Soup (Ajiaco)
Chicken Fajita Soup
Creamy White Chicken Chili
Pozole Verde de Pollo (Green Mexican Hominy and Chicken Soup)
Oyakodon (Japanese Chicken and Egg Rice Bowl)
Egg Drop Soup
Creamy Chicken and Gnocchi Soup
Chicken Tortellini Soup
Chicken Pot Pie Soup
Beef and Barley Soup
Italian Sausage Stuffed Pepper Soup
Hi! When is the chicken added? Thanks
The chicken is added with the broth and rice. Enjoy!
I just made this for dinner and it’s SO GOOD! Thank you for sharing the recipe.