Mashed potatoes are one of my favourite side dishes and mashed sweet potatoes are just as good! I normally think about enhancing the natural sweetness of the sweet potatoes, with the addition of brown sugar or maple syrup, but savoury mashed sweet potatoes are simply amazing! These mashed sweet potatoes contain smoky and spicy chipotles chilies in adobo, butter, sour cream, cheddar cheese, green onions and bacon for a sweet and savoury combination that is magical! For large holiday meals, such as Thanksgiving, oven time is often at a premium so it’s nice to have a side that can be made on the stove top! It’s super easy to make this side, you simply boil the potatoes and garlic until tender, drain them, mash them and mix in all of the seasonings! You can cook the bacon while the potatoes simmer to save some time and the whole dish is ready in less that 30 minutes. These chipotle cheddar mashed sweet potatoes can even be made a day ahead of time and be rewarmed just before serving!
Chipotle Cheddar Mashed Sweet Potatoes
Creamy mashed sweet potatoes with warm chipotle chiles, cheddar cheese, sour cream, and crispy bacon!
- 3 pounds sweet potatoes, (optionally peeled) cut into 1 inch cubes
- 3 cloves garlic
- 4 strips bacon, cut into 1/2 inch pieces (optional)
- 1 tablespoon chipotle chilies in adobo, chopped (or to taste)
- 3 tablespoons butter, room temperature
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- 1 cup strong cheddar cheese, shredded
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- Place the potatoes and garlic in a large pot, cover in water, bring to a boil and cook until tender, about 15-20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook the bacon until crispy and set aside on paper towels to drain.
- Drain the potatoes well, mash by hand and mix in the chipotle chilies in adobo, butter, sour cream and cheese until the cheese and butter have melted into the potatoes.
- Mix in the bacon and green onions and enjoy!
Option: Add 1 tablespoon white miso paste!
Option: Add 1 tablespoon maple syrup!
Option: Add 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin.
Slow Cooker Mashed Sweet Potatoes
Sweet Potato Casserole
Mashed Sweet Potatoes with Andouille Cream
Parmesan Garlic Miso Butter Smashed Sweet Potatoes
Maple Pecan Melting Sweet Potatoes
Muffin Pan Maple Pecan Sweet Potato Gratins
Slow Cooker Garlic Mashed Potatoes
White Cheddar and Garlic Mashed Potatoes
Roasted Red Pepper and Feta Mashed Potatoes
Blue Cheese Mashed Potatoes topped with Caramelized Onions and Mushrooms
Goat Cheese Mashed Potatoes Smothered in Coffee Gravy
Creamy Roasted Garlic Mashed Potatoes
Garlic Mashed Cauliflower
Spinach and Feta Mashed Cauliflower
Asiago Roasted Mushroom Mashed Cauliflower
Easy Mashed Potatoes
Horseradish Mashed Parsnips and Celery Root
Salt and Vinegar Mashed Potatoes
Oh, these sound amazing! Can’t wait to try them! I think they would go well with pork.