Shrimp is one of my favourite foods and I always have a few quick and easy recipes on hand that feature them. With Mardi Gras here, I pulled out a Cajun style shrimp pasta recipe with a creamy tomato sauce. This recipe starts off with cajun seasoned shrimp that is cooked in butter and oil until lightly ‘blackened’ and all sorts of succulently good! Next up is the sauce which starts with onions, red peppers, plenty of garlic, chicken broth, cajun seasoning, tomatoes and cream before being finished off with parmesan cheese and Worcestershire sauce. This cajun shrimp in creamy tomato and garlic sauce is perfect served over pasta, gnocchi, mashed potatoes, etc. and it’s the perfect way to enjoy some shrimp while celebrating Mardi Gras!
Creamy Cajun Tomato and Garlic Shrimp Pasta
Cajun shrimp in a quick and easy creamy tomato and garlic sauce!
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 pound shrimp, shelled and de-veined
- 1 teaspoon cajun seasoning
- 1 onion, diced
- 1/2 red bell pepper, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1/2 cup chicken broth (or dry white wine)
- 8 ounces pasta (such as linguine)
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1/2 cup heavy/whipping cream
- 2 teaspoons cajun seasoning
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 cup parmigiano reggiano (parmesan cheese), grated
- 2 tablespoons parsley, chopped
- Start bringing a large pot of water to a boil.
- Meanwhile, heat the oil and melt the butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat, add the shrimp, seasoned with the cajun seasoning, and cook until cooked, about 1-2 minutes per side, before setting aside.
- Add the onion to the pan and cook until just tender, about 5-7 minutes before adding the red pepper and cooking for another 3 minutes.
- Add the garlic and cook until fragrant, about a minute.
- Add the broth and scrape up any brown bits from the bottom of the pan with a wooden spoon as the broth sizzles.
- Add the pasta to the now boiling water and cook until al-dente tender, about 7-9 minutes (as per the packages directions) and drain.
- Meanwhile, add the tomatoes, cream, cajun seasoning, and Worcestershire sauce to the sauce, bring to a boil, reduce the heat to a simmer.
- Add the cheese and cook until the cheese melted into the sauce.
- Drain the pasta, toss with the sauce and the shrimp and enjoy garnished with the parsley!
The Best Shrimp Scampi
Cajun Shrimp Fettuccine Alfredo
Cajun Chicken Alfredo Stuffed Shells
Cajun Shrimp Cauliflower Alfredo Linguini
Chargrilled Oyster Pasta
Spicy Garlic Shrimp Pasta
Tomato and Feta Baked Shrimp Pasta
Cajun Chicken Alfredo Dip
Cajun Butter Garlic Grilled Shrimp with Cilantro Lime Avocado Sauce
Creamy Shrimp Alfredo Linguine
Cajun Garlic Butter Steak Bites
Cajun Chicken Alfredo