Despite the fact that it is spring we had snow here for Easter so the first thing that I did with my leftover ham was to make a comforting and creamy ham and potato corn chowder! I wanted this chowder to be full of vegetables so I started out with onions, carrots and celery before adding some garlic, thyme and flour as a thickener. For the liquids I used a tasty ham broth and milk rather than cream to keep things a little lighter. The ham, potatoes and corn filled the soup out and as I often do, I added some white miso paste for even more flavour and a touch of umami. Not only is this ham and potato chowder really easy to make but it takes less than 30 minutes so it’s perfect for any night of the week and if you make a large batch then the leftovers are even better for lunch the next day! Here’s to hoping that it starts warming up soon but until then I have some ham and potato corn chowder to get me through these chilly early spring days!
So nice and warm and comforting!
Add bacon and cheddar if you wish! (The bacon is not really optional in my opinion!)
Fry the ham first for some extra flavour and crispiness!
Ham and Potato Corn Chowder
A lighter, creamy and tasty ham and potato corn chowder that is pure comfort in a bowl!
- 3 tablespoons oil or butter
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 carrots, diced
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 teaspoon thyme, chopped
- 1/4 cup flour (or rice flour for gluten free)
- 2 cups ham broth or chicken broth
- 2 cups milk (or heavy cream)
- 1 1/2 pounds potatoes, diced small and optionally peeled
- 8 ounces ham, diced
- 1 cup corn
- salt and pepper to taste
- Heat the oil in a large sauce pan over medium-high heat, add the onions, carrots and celery and cook until tender, about 8-10 minutes.
- Mix in the garlic, thyme and flour and cook until the flour is lightly browned, about 2-3 minutes.
- Slowly stir in the broth, deglazing the pan as you go, add the milk and potatoes, bring to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer until the potatoes are tender, about 10-12 minutes.
- Add the ham and corn, cook until heated and season with salt and pepper.
Option: Omit the carrots and celery.
Option: Replace the potato with cauliflower.
Option: Fry the ham until slightly crispy on the outside before adding it to the soup.
Option: Add 1-2 tablespoons white miso paste by taking some of the hot broth and mixing it into the miso in a bowl and then mixing it back into the chowder as you remove it from the heat. (The miso adds a nice umami flavour!) Note: miso is salty so you will not need to season with as much salt.
Ham and Bean Soup
Split Pea Soup with Ham
Maple and Bourbon Ham and Baked Bean Soup
Buffalo Chicken Chowder
Shrimp and Roasted Corn Chowder
Chipotle Chicken and Corn Bacon Chowder
Cajun Sweet Potato Seafood Chowder
Asiago Cauliflower and Quinoa Chowder
Chicken Cordon Bleu Soup
Corn and Zucchini Chowder