The month of pumpkins is almost over and I have one more recipe to share, pumpkin and turkey chili! This dish is the prefect comfort food for cooling Fall days! This is a pretty basic chili recipe with turkey and beans followed by chipotle peppers in adobo for smokey heat along with cumin and paprika. Pumpkin is included not just once but twice, with both pumpkin puree and diced pumpkin, so the broth is flavoured with pumpkin and you have nice big chunks of pumpkin as well! I like to add a touch of sweetness with maple syrup along with a hint of warming pumpkin pie spice!
Pumpkin Turkey Chili
A warming fall flavour inspired chili with turkey, pumpkin, maple syrup and pumpkin spice!
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 pound ground turkey (or chicken, or beef)
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 (red) bell pepper, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2-4 chipotle peppers in adobo, chopped (or 1-2 tablespoons chipotle chili powder)
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice (or cinnamon)
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 2 (14.5 ounce) can white beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can pumpkin puree (or 2 cups homemade pumpkin puree)
- 2 cups pumpkin/butternut, cubed
- 2 teaspoons oregano
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup (or brown sugar)
- salt and pepper to taste
- 4 green onions, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons cilantro, chopped
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium heat, add the turkey and onion and cook, breaking apart the turkey as it cooks, about 8-10 minutes.
- Add the bell pepper and cook for 3 minutes.
- Add the garlic, chipotle chilies, cumin, paprika, and pumpkin pie spice and cook until fragrant, about a minute.
- Add the broth, beans, tomatoes, pumpkin/butternut, oregano, and maple syrup, mix, bring to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer until the cubed pumpkin is tender, about 15-20 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste, and enjoy garnished with green onions and cilantro.
Option: Add applesauce or a diced apple!
Option: Replace the diced pumpkin with butternut squash or sweet potato.
Option: Garnish with your favourite chili toppings such as: cheese, sour cream, tortilla chips, avocado, guacamole, pico de galo, pepitas, etc.
Sweet Potato and Black Bean Chili
Slow Braised Chili Con Carne
Black Bean and Quinoa Chili
Squash Chili Mole
Turkey White Chili
White Chicken Chili
Braised Short Rib Ragu
Beef and Black Bean Chili
Buffalo Chicken Chili
Quinoa White Chicken Chili
Beef Barbacoa Tacos
7 Chili Chili
Chipotle Sweet Potato Soup
Sweet Potato and Peanut Soup
Sweet Potato Soup
Jamaican Jerk Beef and Bean Chili
Easy Beef and Bean Chili