With Cinco de Mayo coming up soon, I have been thinking about Mexican style food and this white chili chicken skillet casserole is a tasty option! This dish is inspired by white chicken chili (basically a chili that uses chicken instead of beef, green chilies instead of red chilies, and crema instead of tomatoes, resulting a white colour rather than red), in a rice casserole form, that’s made stope-top in a skillet. The recipe is super easy to make! You start by cooking the chicken, followed by onions and chili peppers, before seasoning with garlic and cumin. Next up is the rice along with some liquids to cook it, in this case salsa verde and chicken broth, which is simmered until the rice is done. I like to add white beans and top it all off with melted cheese! The final touch is some garnishes such as avocado, green onions, cilantro, sour cream, etc.
White Chili Chicken Skillet Casserole
A super easy stove top skillet white chicken chili rice casserole that’s packed with flavour!
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 pound boneless and skinless chicken breasts or thighs, cut into bite sized pieces
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 poblano pepper (or green bell pepper), diced
- 1 jalapeno pepper, finely diced
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 cup rice
- 1 cup water (or chicken broth)
- 2 cups salsa verde
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can white beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup sour cream (or crema or 4 ounces cream cheese) (optional)
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat, add the chicken and cook until lightly golden-brown on all sides, about 5-8 minutes.
- Add the onion, poblano, and jalapeno and cook until tender, about 5-7 minutes.
- Add the garlic and cumin and cook until fragrant, about a minute.
- Add the rice, water, and salsa verde, mix, bring to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer, covered, until the rice is cooked, about 20 minutes.
- Mix in the beans and sour cream before seasoning with salt and pepper to taste.
- Sprinkle on the cheese and let it melt before enjoying!
Option: Season the chicken with taco seasoning before cooking.
Option: If you want a moister casserole, add an extra cup of salsa verde or water or chicken broth.
Option: Use quinoa instead of rice.
Option: Use already cooked (and sliced or shredded chicken) to save time!
Option: Add 1 cup corn.
Option: Garnish with cilantro.
Option: Garnish with green onions.
Option: Garnish with avocado.
Option: Garnish with jalapenos.
Option: Garnish with sour cream.
Option: Garnish with lime slices.
Option: Serve with tortilla chips!
Mexican Beef and Bean Skillet Rice
Moroccan Beef Tagine
Sloppy Joe Mac n Cheese
Greek Beef Skillet
Cajun White Chicken Chili
White Chicken Chili
Pumpkin and White Bean Chicken Chili
Creamy White Chicken Chili
Quinoa White Chicken Chili
Chicken and Avocado Enchiladas
Salsa Verde Baked Chicken
Salsa Verde Chicken Enchilada Skillet
looks absolutely delicious. only problem is I don’t know what salsa Verde is.
Kevin I’d be so grateful if you could please tell me how to make it.
Judy, if you go to the list of ingredients and click on the words salsa verde, it will take you to Kevin’s recipe.
MARY HUNTLEY TOGNAZZINI says
HERDEZ SASA VERDE MY FAVORITE.