Chowder is one of my favourite comfort foods and this one, featuring: corn, potatoes and Italian sausage, is amazing! A chowder at it’s base is a milk or cream broth that’s thickened with a roux; flour cooked in a fat, in this case butter. Chowders often include seafood but you can use anything; I particularly like this combination of sweet corn with savoury sausage! This recipe starts out by cooking Italian sausage before setting it aside to cook veggies: onions, carrots and celery, in butter. Flour is sprinkled into butter and veggies and cooked until it turns a light golden brown before broth is added, to be thickened by the roux. Potatoes are then simmered until tender, along with the sausage, corn and herbs before the cream is added! I like to finish this chowder off by melting parmesan cheese in and adding fresh parsley and sliced green onions! This sausage and corn chowder is the perfect comfort food any time!
In the summer I like to use fresh corn and in the winter, frozen corn works well!
Italian Sausage Corn Chowder
A warm and comforting, creamy corn and potato chowder with tasty Italian sausage!
- 1 pound Italian sausage, casings removed
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup onion, diced
- 1 cup carrots, diced
- 1 cup celery, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 pinch red pepper flakes (optional)
- 4 tablespoons flour (gluten-free for gluten-free)
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 2 large potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 4 cups corn (fresh, frozen, or canned)
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 cup parmigiano reggiano (parmesan cheese), grated (optional)
- 2 tablespoons parsley, chopped
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- Cook the sausage in a large saucepan over medium-high heat, breaking it apart as it cooks, until cooked through, and set aside.
- Add the butter to the pan and let it melt before adding the onion, carrots, and celery, and cooking until tender, about 7-10 minutes.
- Add the garlic and red pepper flakes and mix before sprinkling in the flour and cooking for a 2-3 minutes.
- Add the broth, sausage, potatoes, corn, oregano, and thyme, bring to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer until the potatoes are tender, about 15 minutes.
- Turn off the heat, mix in the cream and parmesan and let cheese melt into the soup before seasoning with salt and pepper to taste.
- Mix in the parsley and green onions and enjoy!
Option: Use Italian seasoning instead of the oregano and thyme.
Option: Add bacon!
Ham and Potato Corn Chowder
Corn and Jalapeno Chowder
Corn and Zucchini Chowder
Shrimp and Roasted Corn Chowder
Chipotle Chicken and Corn Bacon Chowder
Asiago Cauliflower and Quinoa Chowder
Mexican Street Corn Soup
Spinach, White Bean and Turkey Sausage Soup
Italian Sausage Butternut Squash Soup
Tortellini Soup with Italian Sausage & Spinach
Italian Sausage Stuffed Pepper Soup
Creamy Parmesan Italian Sausage Soup